General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Route 66 ride

I want to take a U.S.Route 66 ride. with that said, I am coming from East to West, I've read about how Route 66 is cut up in Missouri, some of the trip is on Interstate, some is on Old Route 66.
I've talked to others who have tried this Route, and ended up turning around, backtracking, not making it fun at all.
Others have tried it and nearly baked themselves on their bikes while attempting the ride.
I want to ride to Flagstaff Az, then go north, a come back VIA Rapid City SD.

So here is my question:
What month is the best month to ride the route?
Is there a Web site or URL that has the do's and don'ts mapping?
Good places to see?
Places to stay?
Places to eat?

I found this URL, that was about it!
http://www.ridingroute66.us/

Last edited by davidw221; 12-02-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:19 AM
RedNose44
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,084 Likes on 2,601 Posts

I have not done the whole route, but I own a house in Arizona that is very close to part of the route and have driven on parts of it. This part of the route gets extremely hot in the summer (can get north of 120 in the summer). If I was going to plan a ride it would be spring or early fall.

Old 12-02-2011, 06:58 AM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a few links to get you started... there's even a book about it! (amazon)

http://www.ridingroute66.us/

http://route66motorcycletour.com/

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Gui.../dp/1929954069#_

Happy riding!!!

Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Been there. Be sure to get a picture like this.

this was west of Kingman, AZ in summer 2010.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:17 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Once you get to Flagstaff, it is imperative that you turn south and ride Oak Tree Canyon(I think) to Sedona. Best seen at sunrise or sunset. This is not all that far an I consider it a must see.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:21 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,871 Likes on 9,333 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Once you get to Flagstaff, it is imperative that you turn south and ride Oak Tree Canyon(I think) to Sedona. Best seen at sunrise or sunset. This is not all that far an I consider it a must see.
Actually, It's Oak Creek Canyon and the road is 89A south out of Flagstaff. It meanders through Sedona, across to Cottonwood, up through Jerome then over the mountain to Prescott. A great twisties with mountains ride.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:35 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Thanks EasternSP. With the sunrise or sunset light, Sedona(Oak Creek Canyon) can be almost a spiritual experience. Reservations needed. It is a must see while your there. We also spent one night in Jerome.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:45 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,898 Likes on 824 Posts

One of the longest segments of the original "Mother Road" is here in Oklahoma...
http://www.legendsofamerica.com/66-oklahoma.html

Just be cautious around storm season here in "tornado alley". Give me a holler when you're in the area; I'd join ya' if my schedule permits.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:57 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

I rode the "Mother Road" from Indianapolis to Albuquerque, NM in June of 2009. Tried to stay on the actual route 66 as much as the road was available. Frankly, while there is a lot of history there isnt much road left. I think the ride is over-hyped and not what I would call scenic until you get to the desert southwest. I remember crossing the Texas panhandle fighting a 40 mph headwind....not fun. Late June will avoid most of the windy season. September into October is just delightful.

Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
redsled
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode it in early October, 1995. Started in Chicago, Lou Mitchell's diner for breakfast, which is literally at the beginning of the Mother Road (there's a sign across the street).

The historic way to ride it is East to West, finishing up in Santa Monica. If you go that route the disadvantage is that you will have a lot of sun in your eyes since you'll be riding west.

+1 on Sedona (actually, +100). Bonus points if you grab a steak, a box of salad, some bread and a charcoal ready-light bag, and pull over at a picnic area near one of the vortex sites and have a bbq.

Also, near Sedona, check out Jerome - ghost silver mining town turned art colony.

We used Tom Snyder's Route 66 Traveller's Guide- lots of great tips on food/accommo, as well as how to find the lost bits of the road. Never had to backtrack. Made lots of notes in the margins, which are now fun to read.

Don't make reservations, look for neon motels, eat lots of bbq, stop at Cadillac ranch, grand canyon, Taos, and Las Vegas New Mexico. Have fun.

Quick Reply: Route 66 ride