General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Route 66 ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
keith_stepp
Banned
Received 1,505 Likes on 1,077 Posts

My favorite places along Rt 66 in AZ so far have been Oatman, Meteor Crater and the Grand Canyon Caverns. Be sure and stay the night in Holbrook at the Wigwam hotel. Also near Holbrook is the Petrified Forest. You will ride right past it and the Painted Desert on the I40. There is a visitor's center just off the I40 with one or two spots to get some pictures of the Painted Desert. The better place to visit though is the Petrified Forest visitor's center off of the 180. I would recommend riding through the park though; its not much of a detour and its really nice, quiet ride with spectacular views and a great feel for AZ's high plateau; very relaxing. There is a big warehouse at the intersection of 180 and the 77 that sells petrified wood; great place to pick up a souvenir.

Sedona is definitely a nice spot. Best place to see the sunset is up on top of a mesa where the airport is. Sunrise would be better there. If you like the bread and breakfast thing, there are several along Oak Creek Canyon that are very nice; can be spendy though. I liked the Briar Patch Inn.

If I could only make one detour though, it would be to the Grand Canyon. There is a really nice loop that I take. It starts in Flagstaff and ends in Williams. Take 89 north to 64; head west on the 64 to the east entrance to the Grand Canyon. The ride along the east rim road is much less crowded than the main park area with lots of overlooks to stop at and take pictures. Plan on at least 2 hours in the park. On the way out, you can stay on the 64 to Williams, or you can take the 180 back to Flagstaff.

The best places for the Rt 66 experience are in towns like Holbrook, Williams, Seligman, and Oatman. These are small town experiences. But, Flagstaff and Kingman also have a lot of Rt 66 appeal; I just don't like spending much time in them. I've never been, but I understand that there is a little park in Winslow called the "On the Corner"... whatever.

As mentioned, the best time to ride through AZ is in the spring or fall. Flagstaff is 7,000 feet and Oatman is in the desert; so you can see temps ranging from single digits to 120, depending on time of year. My favorite time is in ether September or October. In October you run the risk of waking up to frost on the bike and temps near 90 in Oatman; but, I think that is perfect myself. September is the better month to be sure and avoid the frosty mornings, but temps could be closer to 100 in the deserts.

Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,898 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by keith_stepp
... but I understand that there is a little park in Winslow called the "On the Corner"...
This is based on "Take it Easy" by The Eagles. "Well, I'm a standing on a corner
in Winslow, Arizona
and such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed
Ford slowin' down to take a look at me..."

Old 12-02-2011, 09:42 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

What Hoethree said. As I live in the Tx. panhandle, I would recommend setting the cruise on as much as possible from OKC to Gallup NM. At the state line of NM an AZ there is some interesting cliffs along the interstate. Keith gave good advice about driving through the Painted Desert and stopping in the Petrified Forest. As time is always an issue, I would speed on down to 89A at Flagstaff, go south and then north to the Grand Canyon. Arizona, Utah, Colorado and the Black Hills have so much to offer.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:20 AM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I am planning a trip next year out this way...Good thread.

We are thinking the middle of Sept would be the best...Any thoughts?

Didn't mean to steal your thread but why start another on the same subject.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I've ridden most of Route 66 through Missouri, and I am not impressed with what we have of the highway here. It is hard to follow, and there are only a few of parts of the old road that I have ridden more than once, or will ride on again. If I was from out of state, I'd stay on I-44 and cruise right on through.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:20 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by scoteh
I've ridden most of Route 66 through Missouri, and I am not impressed with what we have of the highway here. It is hard to follow, and there are only a few of parts of the old road that I have ridden more than once, or will ride on again. If I was from out of state, I'd stay on I-44 and cruise right on through.
Same in Illinois, ride 2-3 miles of the old road (or next to where the old road was) then ride 2-3 miles around the interstate or corn field to find another few mile stretch.
Just about every city and town along I-55 will have places with RT66 memorabilia. A 2 hour drive down I-55 will take all day trying to use RT66.

Old 12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
henrybennett
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

This on my list of things to do before I get too old. There are numerous books on how best to drive or ride Route 66. Isn't there a Route 66 Association? A book I have recommends leaving Chicago late September or October. This off season & lots of cheap deals for food & accommodation & the weather gets progressively better & warmer, but never too hot, as you progress South & West.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:19 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

I have ridden all of the actual route 66 from Amarillo to California. I did it in the back seat of my dad's 1963 ford galaxie. Don't know where we got off 66 at. Went on to San Francisco. Saw the Giants play a double hitter against the Houston Colt 45's. As for the actual road now, I don't see the magic, but some do.

Old 12-02-2011, 04:55 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,371 Likes on 2,543 Posts

i found this website to be pretty interesting: http://www.mrzip66.com/2009/04/20/ro...asy-rider-map/

Old 12-02-2011, 05:23 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be advised some parts of the old 66 are better driven in a 4x4 than rode on a bike do to lack of maintenance.
One of my favorite sections is the 30 or so miles from Kingman, Az over the twisty mountain pass into the antique goldmine town of Oatman.

Quick Reply: Route 66 ride