Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NC "Motorcycle Safety Act" goes live December 1, 2011

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 08:22 PM
Newharleylover
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
As far as a deterrent fine, or punishment type of thing, it's ineffective.

Where it's really going to help is in civil court. If someone runs you off the road and causes damage/injury....sue their pants off in civil court. If they get a ticket and fine, it will help you tremendously in your legal proceedings. It's like having an "at fault judgement" levied against the idiot that hurt you.
Now that's what I'm talking about! Hit 'em where it hurts! I was hit 7 years ago by a woman who used the "I just didn't see him" excuse. I was on life support for 8 days. She damned near killed me! Now, she wasn't texting or yapping on a phone but my point is that IMO if you use the excuse "I just didn't see him" or it can be proven that the at fault driver was either on the phone or texting, they should be nailed hard! Real hard! It's quite obvious to me that people with that damned phone in their hand while their driving is equally as dangerous as a drunk driver. These people have to be forced to become accountable somehow.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:54 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
people with that damned phone in their hand while their driving is equally as dangerous as a drunk driver. These people have to be forced to become accountable somehow.
On my last two rides I gave a lot of space to 3 different idiots who were drifting ahead me, back and forth between the lines as these idiots texted their asses off! I haven't witnessed a drunk lately, so I think these ******** texting, if they haven't already, will take the lead on causing fatalities. I'm a little older now, and hopefully somewhat wiser, but I'm about to revert to my younger days of carrying some nice size steel bearings in my jacket pocket for these idiots.

Sorry, didn't mean to slide off, that's just one area that obviously ...ah nevermind...

Glad to see the legislatorholes in Raleigh are finally getting off their ****, but they still have a long way to go to clean up a centuries worth of liberal rule. Once the cagers lawyer up, they'll get off with a faulty equipment fine or something minimal until those in Raleigh put some more teeth in this. However, I guess it is a start.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now if only they could catch 80% of the *********** in cages that run us off of the roads. The last four fatalities up here have been hit and runs as far as bikes go.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASH
The problem with the NC texting law is that it's impossible to enforce because the officer has to "prove" that the driver was actually texting and not just looking at his phone or dialing a number which are NOT illegal...
Not sure of the technicalities of the law, but I'm thinking at least in fatality accidents, I'm hoping law enforcement/DA, would subpoena phone records? I'll have to make some phone calls tomorrow and see what I can find out.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:02 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,581 Likes on 2,513 Posts

So,basically--attempted murder of a biker=$200 fine? What about attempted murder of a cager? Worth it a TWICE the price!

Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 PM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
So,basically--attempted murder of a biker=$200 fine? What about attempted murder of a cager? Worth it a TWICE the price!
Cmon dickey you know better.

You get caught for attempted murder.

You get away with successful murder because dead people can't call the cops.

So the fine for successful murder of a cager is zero. And buy yourself an 'atta boy beer at the next bar.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 170 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
North Carolina HB 113 becomes law effective December 1, 2011.

Basically, run a biker off the road = $200 fine, run a biker off the road causing damage or injury = $500 fine...
Personally, I don't see the point of this new law. Forget about the bike for a second. Isn't there already some law that would cover running another vehicle off the road? Motorcycle or car, it should make no difference.

And you wonder why our local, state, and federal governments are in such a financial mess. Just one of many useless wastes of our money. I wonder how many taxpayer dollars were spent researching, writing, debating, and bringing this useless, and most likely redundant, law into place.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:43 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't know how enforceable the law will be, but I guess its a start.

Old 12-01-2011, 01:13 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Great start. This means, when a motorist causes a rider to swerve or wreck, the cop can charge the motorist with something other than 'failure to maintain control' or 'failure to maintain lane'

$500 may not seem like a lot, but i'm paying a lawyer $500 to try and get my reckless driving ticket reduced, since in the shitty state of VA its a Class 1 Misdemeanor

and 500 bucks is about half way to my 107 kit

Old 12-01-2011, 08:22 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess it's better than nothing.

Quick Reply: NC "Motorcycle Safety Act" goes live December 1, 2011