General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 streetglide lean angle

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 09:05 AM
p51bombay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

As a CDL holder you are required to report infractions in another jurisdiction, to me this implies that records are not automatically shared so its possible that it wont make it to your home state.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:21 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is a direct answser to the OP question:

The maximum lean angle does not change with speed. The lean angle of the bike is a static number and is not influenced by speed. It is pure geometry and you can dig it out of the specs of the bike.

What he should be asking is a totally different question. That question is:
Should I have been able to make a curve of a certain radius at a certain speed on my bike, or do the laws of physics prevent it?

The answer is it depends:

A key to winning motorcycle races is to maneuver through curves faster than your opponent. That is accomplished in part by dramatic weight shifts to the inside of the curve. Basically move your body and hang your weight (and ***) outside the bike (toward the inside of the curve). The better you can do that, the tighter curve you can negotiate at higher speeds without dragging or low siding. The more weight you can shift correctly, the less lean angle your bike needs to make the curve.

Sure, at some point, at some speed, physics will not allow a bike to make a curve, but that would definetely be in excess of any speed limit, warning speed, or what is prudent. Personal experience tells me my motorcycle can make any curve I encounter at, or substantially above the posted warning speed.

My assumption:

OP got into a curve too hot. Lost confidence, maybe fixated on where the bike was headed instead of where he wanted it to go and missed a curve.

No matter how it happened it is driver error. Not a design defect.

I know you don't want that answer, but it is the correct one. Go grab some track time and you will understand and become a better rider.

The difference on whether it was "reckless" or "careless" is determined by the wording of the staute. Your attorney should know the diffrence.

I hope you and the bike are OK.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-29-2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

OK just have to complicate things more jonesee- going around a corner the shocks are compressed from the force of the curve right? so that means that the faster you're going the less lean angle you really have because the bike has less clearance than doing the turn at a lower speed. A more experienced rider than me looked at my tires and said he could tell I was'nt an experienced rider cause my tires had little wear on the outside. Well first- highway miles do that- and second I pointed out that my transmission would have to be cut off for my tires to get wear where he was pointing, his road king has A LOT more clearance than my wideglide, which I think is the lowest slung Harley. And the lean angle is NOT the same left and right.
By the way I do scrape the frame on both sides if the road seems clean enough to go that far over, but not because I'm trying.

Last edited by Blackfly; 11-29-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
06Fatboy_CT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackfly
OK just have to complicate things more jonesee- going around a corner the shocks are compressed from the force of the curve right? so that means that the faster you're going the less lean angle you really have because the bike has less clearance than doing the turn at a lower speed. A more experienced rider than me looked at my tires and said he could tell I was'nt an experienced rider cause my tires had little wear on the outside. Well first- highway miles do that- and second I pointed out that my transmission would have to be cut off for my tires to get wear where he was pointing, his road king has A LOT more clearance than my wideglide, which I think is the lowest slung Harley. And the lean angle is NOT the same left and right.
By the way I do scrape the frame on both sides if the road seems clean enough to go that far over, but not because I'm trying.
Where i'm from we call them chicken strips. lol

Diff bikes do limit how far you can lean. On my gixxer I have zero chicken strips, wear fully across both tires. On my fatboy i have about 1/4-1/2 inch strips.

Same rider, different bike. And I ride very aggresive on both bikes.

Also the dude who pointed that out might've been a dick trying to show off who probably isn't that aggressive himself. Check out the tires on my gixxer after a spirited ride with my buddys, the edges of the tires turn blue. lol

Old 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
cubby104
4th Gear

Thanks for all of the concern and info. I tore the legiments out of my knee and am healing. As for my bike, it didn't make it. Apple green/vivid black streetglide, my wife and I loved that thing. Going to look for a black classic and paint the apple green.

Old 11-29-2011, 03:58 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

In the original post when the OP stated "I laid the bike down." negates any factor dealing with could the bike negotiate the corner. Odds are that it could. Most cruiser riders with no background coming up on dirt bikes and sport bikes just lack the experience of how fast their machine can go around the corner.

Always pick a line and counter steer hard and TRUST those tires.

The dumbest action any rider can do is lay the bike down and abandon all control.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM
cubby104
4th Gear

I didn't just lay it down, I thought I had the corner until the right foot board hit the ground and the bike was gone, sliding. Any other questions, I would be happy to answer.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Fatboy_CT

Also the dude who pointed that out might've been a dick trying to show off who probably isn't that aggressive himself. Check out the tires on my gixxer after a spirited ride with my buddys, the edges of the tires turn blue. lol
If I am the "dude" you are referencing (at least it is better than the other name you used for me)... Bike prior to this was a gixxer 750. Next bike I will likely move back to a Concours or K1300. (yes I will keep the HD)

No one had answered the OPs direct question. I tried to provide an answer.

And to simplify what I said earlier. The farther you can move your weight inside and lower on the bike, the less lean you will need to make a curve at a higher speed. Basic track racing 101.

You can handle tighter curves at higher speeds by adjusting your center of gravity.

The maximum lean angle on a bike on flat ground does not change from a stand still to moving at speed. Other than shock compression which someone astutely pointed out. The way you handle the the bike allows you tighter curves before lowsiding or dragging parts.

The OP asked how to get at a measurement. I was simply pointing out there are too many variables to get the measurement he requested. It is not a static number that can be derived for the purposes he intended.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-29-2011 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Blackfly
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 7 Posts

Jonesee -You are not the one who fatboy (I) was talking about unless you hang at the local biker bar on Long Island, and I happen to like the guy I referred to. Please read my post and you'll understand. Peace

Last edited by Blackfly; 11-29-2011 at 07:12 PM.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:21 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say your reckless is coming from admitting to being at a speed of 50-55, they are going to use the higher number, 20 over here in Tn is automatic reckless even on a straight road, don't know the law's where you are on that. As far as making a 35 posted curve at 70 mph, around here you'd end up just like you did especially on a cruiser, you had skid marks so you hit the brakes, which will stand your bike up every time and head you off the road, gotta counter steer and hang with it if you're too hot and hope like hell you make it... worse thing you can do if you are way too hot in a sharp curve to hit the brakes hard, so you tell us you're not sure of your speed so I take it to be more than possible to be faster than 55, basically you were way outside of what experience you could handle or your bike was capable of to even possibly have a chance to make that curve, probably lucky to be alive.

Speed and entry into a curve makes all the difference no matter the lean angle that your bike is capable of, you got to straighten out the curve as much as possible, I always come from outside in, this way I have some room to work with before you cross the center line if I'm too hot and I have been before. Once the frame/footpegs/floorboards hits the pavement it's a good chance it will/could unload the tires from the pavement.. loss of grip... or come completely off the pavement, you're going down at that point, , or cross to the other lane and hit oncoming traffic or go on off the road like you did.....happens all the time at Deals Gap.. I find most folks that lose it in the curves are unfamiliar with the road they are on, or traveling in excess speeds such as you were or for the conditions such as wet pavement, or a combination of all the above.

I don't think you had any chance of making that curve period and more than likely will end up with the reckless driving by your own admissions of speed over the posted sign. Caulk it up to experience and learn from it. Ain't no lean angles going to make a difference at excessive high speeds in a slow speed curve, maybe if it is a long sweeper, but not a tight curve or hook back, also the banking in the curve is a factor too.

Quick Reply: 2011 streetglide lean angle