General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No longer ridin dirty :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

Congrats!! Nice to be legal. I only took a "parking lot" test. Quick stops, 90 degree turns, cone weave, etc. No road testing. It was very simple.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-28-2011, 01:36 PM
jennytruant
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Good luck with the DMV nightmares.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,540 Likes on 932 Posts

Good luck at the DMV. I grew up in Yonkers and had my business in ghetto square until 4 years ago. I don't miss it! Ride safe.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Mike74
Advanced

Grats.... I just got mine over the summer finally. Been riding since 89 and finally decided to be legal. I figured if I was enforcing laws, I should at least follow most of em. Here in FL though, you have to take the damn 2 day MSF course. They dont teach much to an experienced rider, but it is great for new riders.

Old 11-28-2011, 06:25 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

welcome to the other government tax..
the permit does not make anyone a better rider /
all it does is create more revenue for the "guvment"

figgure it out , another tax, ,I have been paying it for years.
here in Texas , they just passed a law that if you dont have one
You have to take a $250 motorcycle course..
provided by "private companies"

buddy of mine let his permit lapse..didnt want to pay the "extra"to keep it .
he was on a two year vacation from bikes.
he is 55 years old , been riding since ..forever ..now he has to pay for the "school " and it is only available in the "big cities ..two day school >
now he has to pay , commute 200 miles , pay for lodging,
all to make him a legal /safer? rider ..
I call B.S. on this tax

Old 11-29-2011, 05:56 AM
BillM
Road Captain

I got my MC license in 1988. Our DMV was in a shopping mall. After the written test, the lady came outside and told me to go up to the exit, turn right, go to the end of the road and turn right, then take the first right back into the parking area and pull up where they were standing. I was in traffic all of 15 sec. Most of the time she was talking to my buddy that rode the bike over there for me to test on. Matter of fact, when I got my DL I rode this same little square but had to park in a space. No parallel parking, all the spaces were angled, nothing hard. Down here most people, boys in particular, have been driving since they were probably 10 or 11. I know I started as soon as I could reach the clutch, brake, and gas. For a while I was nothing more than a valet moving cars around at my grandma's so people could leave. Glad you are legal now.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:50 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I lost my license in the 70'S and never got my mc endorsment back ( small town cops know everybody, and knew I always rode so never checked ) 7 years ago I decided to get legal. Everyone said how tight the course was and how the instructor was a bitch, but I took the test with my ultra anyway, made it through didn't knock anything over but moved a few cones with my bags in the weave and one corner. The instructor came over smiling and said you passed,and that she sets the course up so tight because of all the 40 & 50 year old's that come in with a little bike "125 or smaller " wearing a harley shirt. She said I know that's not what they are going to ride so they better not make a mistake. Guess not such a bitch after all just tired of people trying to fool her.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Nice job... Good luck. Keep the rubber side down.

Old 11-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much room as you want of the figure 8's and circles. When I took my test way back in 69, you had to stay within limits.
Back then, they had just started the MC licensing in NY. I had a drivers license so all I had to do to get my learners permit was file a form-no test. Made sense to me. Then I just had to pass the road test. I lived in Brooklyn at the time so I took the test in Canarsie. I failed first time out because it was raining and wearing a full face shield (had to for the test) vision was impaired. I went thru a yield sign without touching the brake. He failed me just for that.
Passed it the second time I took it.

I assume you still need to supply a bike and car and a licensed rider/driver?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM
carlo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats When I took my road test I lost Count. Did 2 right circles around 4 figure eights and around 4 left hand circles. the DMV lady is yelling OK ok stop you passed.

Quick Reply: No longer ridin dirty :)