General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE Heavy Breather Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 06:04 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default SE Heavy Breather Question

Hey guys...have a question, and hoping someone can give me some advise.
I have the SE heavy breather air cleaner kit...I really dig it, but since day one a few drops of oil leak out of the two "breather tubes"....the oil seems to leak out through the two chrome caps.
I've done a little research, here and elsewhere, and see that there was some kind of bulletin about this...something that the dealers should be aware of, and have a fix for.

The problem I have is that I don't know if I have the newer (fixed) kit, or if I need to have it fixed. The oil leaking would seem to indicate that I have the older one...but not sure. I want to take those two end caps off and look at the o-rings inside. Problem is, I'm not sure how to pull the caps off...at least without doing any damage. I installed the kit, and seem to remember that the caps were just pushed in. Is it safe to assume that they should just be pulled out...but what to use without scratching or making a mess of it. I don't particularly like the idea of putting a flat head screwdriver in there and prying it off. Is this the only way?

I appreciate any suggestions...about the removal of the caps...and the leak in general.
Thanks guys!

Todd

Old 11-26-2011, 11:32 PM
Cowpokey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 202 Likes on 29 Posts

You remember correctly, they are just pushed in. Might be able to fix the leak with new o-rings. Raid the kitchen and get a rubber jar opener or pair of rubber gloves, with a good grip you should be able to pull them out. I wouldn't think you'd need any other tools. I'd be leery, as you are, about marring the finish with pliers or screwdriver.

Old 11-27-2011, 12:06 AM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

When I first bought my '08 FLHX, I had the SE Heavy Breather installed before I brought it home. It leaked a very small amount form day one. Not a lot, but just enough to notice. I changed the o-rings a couple times, but it didn't seem to really ever stop it definitively.

Then I installed lowers, so the HB had to go for clearance issues, and I went with the standard SE/AC.

As for the chrome caps, I used a thin, flat-blade screwdriver with some heat-shrink tubing over the blade. Kinda' like a condom! Just press the covered blade under the cap edge, and give it a twist. Do this a couple times around the perimeter, and it should pop right off, it's just lightly pressed in and the o-ring keeps it secured. You're going to want to keep your other hand under the cap in anticipation of the cap popping out. You don't want it to fall and get scratched up. I did it several times this way and never scratched the caps at all.

Old 11-27-2011, 06:50 AM
TheGeek
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to drill mine, screwed in a screw and used a dent puller to pull mine out. I had the new ones already. The new ones have 2 "O" rings, not just one. I have not had a problem since.

Old 11-28-2011, 01:10 PM
screaminroadking
Road Master
Received 145 Likes on 67 Posts

Have the same problem on my Roadking. Oil has seeped since day one. When its hot out it's even worse. Took out the existing rubber rings and replaced them with what I thought were better ones, no luck. Oil blows out and gets on the rear jug. Made it a point to keep a extra rag in the saddlebag. I also found that a sharp knife blade will work in getting off the end caps as well.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:19 PM
veniculum
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK...so I went to the dealer and referenced the bulletin about the leaking oil from the caps...and how there are replacement caps available (with 2 o-rings)....they had them in stock and gave them to me without question. Of course, the o-rings were not included, and they didn't have them in stock. So I just ordered a bunch online.

But now I have a real problem..and these last two posts don't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I absolutely can't get the old caps out. I tried by hand..not a chance...I tried a flat-head screwdriver..all I ended up doing was gouging out a tiny piece of the back plate Really bummed me out!!! It's minor, but I'm pissed anyway....and no further along. How in the hell do you get these end caps off...without trashing things. They certainly pushed in easy enough. WTF!!! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! The screwdriver (even wrapped) just aint cutting it!

Thanks!

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,353 Likes on 2,533 Posts

since you have the new caps, why don't you do like thegeek and drill them and put screws to pull?

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 AM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for the price the moco charges for these a/c's i would think they would be flawless. damn