General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Style?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011 | 05:28 AM
johnnyhumble
|
Tourer
Default Riding Style?

I recently bought a 2012 Ultra Limited and couldn't be happier with the bike. I have always ridden Harleys and have pretty much evolved as I rider, I believe to survive in everyday traffic. For some reason, I am never content to just sit back and "cruise", mulling through the flow of urban landscape content to be in traffic. Over the years I have become the guy who doesn't stay in traffic and will gladly pass people just to get out of "hairy" situations. Maybe it's because I've been hit on my bike twice, both times riding in the right lane, but I am not sure. When I bought the bagger, I thought my style would change, but it hasn't. I still ride 80-85 except now I can't wipe the stupid grin from my face because I'm ripping the tunes and confortable as hell as the violence of the wind seems to be whizzing right by me. My buddies wanna ride 65-70 mph, and I just find myself leaving them...does this ever change? Or am I destined to be the lonely front runner who is just not meant to ride in groups?

I was in a V-Rod club in Houston and it was a different story as I don't like to go 140 mph on the city streets, but 85-90, sure!

Old 11-26-2011 | 05:32 AM
Bones77
Road Captain

Don't need to fly at 85-90. But for me 75-80 is good on interstate. Prefer back roads 50-65. And, most of all I just like getting in the throttle on the low end. Torque is where its at on a Harley.

Bones

Old 11-26-2011 | 05:59 AM
FXD_TG
Road Captain

On the straight and narrow, I tend to gravitate towards what I call "the natural speed limit of the road". Which is to say, if there wasn't a speed limit sign, it's the speed that feels right on a given road... and 9/10s out of 10 I'm 5-10 mph over the posted limit. Been that way since I got my license 37 years ago... so I don't think I'll change.

The only time I get out of sync with the flow is when DOT goes in and straightens what were once nice 35-45 mph two-lane back roads, widens them, and then clear-cuts the trees 20' to either side of the road and turns them into what "feel like" 55-60 mph state highways. So much for improving the safety of these roads.

As for exceeding the posted limit by anything more than 20%, can't think of a good reason. Yeah, I got stupid in my youth a few times, but quickly realized the risks weren't worth the rewards and started going to the track to "get it out of my system". Once I discovered the safety of a closed race track's controlled flow and forgiving nature when you inevitably put the thing down, I was complete cured of excessive speed on public roads.

Here's my favorite PSA with Mick Doohan that drives home the point...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnx20F51S_E

Old 11-26-2011 | 11:05 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member

Hate interstates, give me a gently sweeping 2 lane road and 50-55mph and I'm in nirvana.

Old 11-26-2011 | 11:23 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior

I'm definitely more at home on the 2 lane black top twisties going between 50 and 70 mph than anywhere else.
I don't mind highways as long as it's just to get across town quickly, I have no windshield and not a big fan of putting up with a constant head-wind for more than a few minutes.
Riding back & forth to work I'm mostly on the city streets and only run about 5 mph over posted - never much more than 50 in town. When I leave a green light I'll pull away from the cages around me quickly, grab the left lane and try to maintain my own space on the street as much as possible. Not my preferred style but hey it's a ride and even a bad ride's better than a good drive in my opinion.

Old 11-26-2011 | 12:09 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member

Backroads at a leisurely pace enjoying the ride and scenery is my preference. 80 on the highway is just a method of getting to the destination quicker.

Old 11-26-2011 | 01:24 PM
rwt
Tourer

Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
My buddies wanna ride 65-70 mph, and I just find myself leaving them...does this ever change? Or am I destined to be the lonely front runner who is just not meant to ride in groups?
The answer to that question depends on whether or not you live long enough to grow up.

Here's a clue to the problem.
Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
Maybe it's because I've been hit on my bike twice
Maybe you should slow down and pay attention to what's going on around you. On the other hand, if you can get hit on your bike 4 more times and you'll have an even half dozen.

Old 11-26-2011 | 02:46 PM
johnnyhumble
|
Tourer

Both times I was hit, I was just tooling along without a care in the world...only since then did I notice that I ride faster and stay out of traffic. I pay very close attention to what's going on around me now, hence not getting hit since. While I do appreciate the sentiments to "grow up", I wasn't asking for a lecture. I didn't say I'm driving like a maniac weaving in and out of traffic acting a fool, but I do have a heavy hand. I was just wondering if it was a common problem among others here to want to drive faster than most traffic and such. I know my buddies ride slower, but I just don't.

Old 11-26-2011 | 02:56 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member

In the city I get in front and away from the cages as fast as I can. Then settle in going just above posted speed limits. Highway I cruise at about 75 when I'm alone. If riding in a pack or with someone I let them pick out speed unless it's like 50,come on.

Old 11-26-2011 | 03:27 PM
06Heritage
Tourer

I bet Johnny ends up riding alone alot .. just a hunch

Quick Reply: Riding Style?