General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Style?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011 | 09:08 PM
fxdcfrisco
6th Gear

Maybe I just have the urge to get a ticket, but it's not a good day on the bike til I hit 100

Old 11-29-2011 | 09:40 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Just spit over your shoulder a lot , they back way off after that second big green lougy smears the windshield
I do that a lot.

Old 11-30-2011 | 12:41 AM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I'm from Baltimore originally so the people thing isn't an issue till Jefro starts with the hippy or f*ggot cracks and then I have to take another tooth or 2 away from them .
Twizted, I didn't know you were a dentist.

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:04 AM
Andjh123
Tourer

Just spit over your shoulder a lot , they back way off after that second big green lougy smears the windshield
Absolutely, this bulk smokeless I switched to a few months ago is the juiciest stuff I've ever had and can form a serious gob of nastiness. Seems to work best 40-60 mph range, interstate speeds are a little more difficult as it sometimes ends up on my shoulder.

Old 11-30-2011 | 02:03 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member

I ride like I'm surfing- depends on traffic craziness and my mindset.

Lots of lane changing, Alpha style of riding..

Old 11-30-2011 | 09:21 AM
TheRooster
Road Master

Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. I was beginning to think it was just a redneck thing.

Though he is right. . .hack up half a lung and lob it over your shoulder. . .people back off real quick. You can't help but snicker when you see the windshield wipers start running.

As to the original poster, I ride 40-ish miles daily and about half of that is on a highway with self-important morons on their cellphones weaving around. I hit 70 to 80 to stay away from them since they tend to like to try to play bumper cars with DC traffic. When I do find the country roads that don't have idiots all over the place, I generally level out to about 50, maybe 60 depending on conditions.

Will it ever change? Not until I move. There are too many idiots out here in the Mid-Atlantic area with a license and my legs are too twitchy and ready to kick in side panels out here. I've gone back to Indiana once since I had my bike and I rode completely different; much more laid back and less getting away from idiots on cell phones because there weren't too many idiots on cell phones.

Old 11-30-2011 | 11:20 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member

Funny! Yeah, at the very least flick a cigarette butt their way.

Old 11-30-2011 | 11:57 AM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

In my youth every bike I had that would do over a hundred (most), did, a lot. The first bike I had that I never took all the way to the top was a Suzuki 850 shaft drive; that thing was still pulling hard past 100. Slowed down to see how fast this semi was cruising in Nevada once, was right at 100; didn't know they could go that fast. Driver had a big grin when he looked at me next to him. Put a lot of miles on in the Southwest at triple digits - even a no shoulder 2 lane that's flat, straight, and nothing but desert for miles around gets boring at 70-80. But the Sporty has never seen 100, and I'm not sure it would even go that fast; a stock 883 is kind of pokey for it's size. Now I just enjoy the ride, speed isn't that important anymore. Maybe Minnesota roads just don't encourage it like the Southwest did a few decades ago.

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:23 PM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wide_Open
Hate interstates, give me a gently sweeping 2 lane road and 50-55mph and I'm in nirvana.
This is me too. I like to cruise on a good road at sane speeds. That being said I actually like the thrill (panic) of riding in traffic in town too.

Old 11-30-2011 | 01:32 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer

Originally Posted by TheRooster
Glad to know I'm not the only one that does this. I was beginning to think it was just a redneck thing.

Though he is right. . .hack up half a lung and lob it over your shoulder. . .people back off real quick. You can't help but snicker when you see the windshield wipers start running.

As to the original poster, I ride 40-ish miles daily and about half of that is on a highway with self-important morons on their cellphones weaving around. I hit 70 to 80 to stay away from them since they tend to like to try to play bumper cars with DC traffic. When I do find the country roads that don't have idiots all over the place, I generally level out to about 50, maybe 60 depending on conditions.

Will it ever change? Not until I move. There are too many idiots out here in the Mid-Atlantic area with a license and my legs are too twitchy and ready to kick in side panels out here. I've gone back to Indiana once since I had my bike and I rode completely different; much more laid back and less getting away from idiots on cell phones because there weren't too many idiots on cell phones.

It's not only cell phones. Last year I got rear-ended on my Goldwing, sitting at a stoplight, by a lady in her 70's. I shut off the bike, walked over to the driver's door and said, "What the hell are you doing? Are you talking on your cell phone or something?" Looking down to her lap...

She was balancing her CHECKBOOK!!!!

No damage done. Luckily the front bumper of her minivan matched perfectly w/my trailer hitch.

Yeah, I like riding in Indiana too!!

Riding style: let's just say it's a little different w/the wife on the back!!! <wink>