General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding Style?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011 | 06:22 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member

When I ride to work typically Mon-Fri, it's 80+ all the way. Passing cars. Anything less and you get run over. I tried 65 the other day and almost got toasted by slower drivers and no where to "out."

When I'm with my buddy whom I ride with a lot. I let him lead and usually it's two lane mountain roads, so maybe 50-65 depending.

I'd rather stay ahead of traffic on the super slab then have the four wheelers dictate my speed.

Old 11-26-2011 | 06:27 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
I recently bought a 2012 Ultra Limited and couldn't be happier with the bike. I have always ridden Harleys and have pretty much evolved as I rider, I believe to survive in everyday traffic. For some reason, I am never content to just sit back and "cruise", mulling through the flow of urban landscape content to be in traffic. Over the years I have become the guy who doesn't stay in traffic and will gladly pass people just to get out of "hairy" situations. Maybe it's because I've been hit on my bike twice, both times riding in the right lane, but I am not sure. When I bought the bagger, I thought my style would change, but it hasn't. I still ride 80-85 except now I can't wipe the stupid grin from my face because I'm ripping the tunes and confortable as hell as the violence of the wind seems to be whizzing right by me. My buddies wanna ride 65-70 mph, and I just find myself leaving them...does this ever change? Or am I destined to be the lonely front runner who is just not meant to ride in groups?

I was in a V-Rod club in Houston and it was a different story as I don't like to go 140 mph on the city streets, but 85-90, sure!
No it doesn't change, but the group you ride with will. If you rode with me and the Mrs we always ride like your describing. 65-70 is what we do when we are waiting for an opening, then off we go......

Old 11-26-2011 | 07:33 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member

I ride 90% of the time by myself,and never at posted speed limits,80/85 on the interstate,55/60 on two lane blacktop,5/10 over in city riding.
I've tried to do group rides,but don't like being in the middle,if I'm out front they say I ride to fast,if I take up the rear I spend most of the ride watching everyone,so I just ride alone and meet them where there going.

Old 11-26-2011 | 11:13 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by El Rey
When I ride to work typically Mon-Fri, it's 80+ all the way. Passing cars. Anything less and you get run over. I tried 65 the other day and almost got toasted by slower drivers and no where to "out."
Ain't that the truth!

In SoCal, 80 mph is pretty much "fleet average" if you don't want to get mowed down on the I-5 or I-15. Any guy riding a motorcycle at 55-60 mph on the freeways here is a danger to himself, and everyone else.

Old 11-26-2011 | 11:47 PM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Ahh Good old I-5. Seems that road gets even shittier drivers the further south you go on this god damn coast.

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:29 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Then Came Bronson
Ain't that the truth!

In SoCal, 80 mph is pretty much "fleet average" if you don't want to get mowed down on the I-5 or I-15. Any guy riding a motorcycle at 55-60 mph on the freeways here is a danger to himself, and everyone else.
I wish the rest of the country would take lessons from LA , I go back to Kansas City or Baltimore to see family and the idiots driving can't get up to the speed limit much less exceed it and lets not mention 30 points lower on the IQ scale than the idiots around here . Down south there you have traffic but it's MOVING , from 3:00 pm on some freeways look like parking lots here .

I let my daughter drive once in KC picking me up at the airport , been rental cars with the adults white knuckled and the grand kids grinning like crazy ever since .

Originally Posted by The Guardian
Ahh Good old I-5. Seems that road gets even shittier drivers the further south you go on this god damn coast.
As much as the west coast sucks take my word for this , do a tour of the south and lower east coast states you'll never bitch about 5 again .

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:39 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnnyhumble
I recently bought a 2012 Ultra Limited and couldn't be happier with the bike. I have always ridden Harleys and have pretty much evolved as I rider, I believe to survive in everyday traffic. For some reason, I am never content to just sit back and "cruise", mulling through the flow of urban landscape content to be in traffic. Over the years I have become the guy who doesn't stay in traffic and will gladly pass people just to get out of "hairy" situations. Maybe it's because I've been hit on my bike twice, both times riding in the right lane, but I am not sure. When I bought the bagger, I thought my style would change, but it hasn't. I still ride 80-85 except now I can't wipe the stupid grin from my face because I'm ripping the tunes and confortable as hell as the violence of the wind seems to be whizzing right by me. My buddies wanna ride 65-70 mph, and I just find myself leaving them...does this ever change? Or am I destined to be the lonely front runner who is just not meant to ride in groups?

I was in a V-Rod club in Houston and it was a different story as I don't like to go 140 mph on the city streets, but 85-90, sure!
Well. I just read your post and nothing in between. I think you get used to riding at a certain speed. If you ride at 100 mph you get used to it. ETC.

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:40 AM
The Guardian
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I wish the rest of the country would take lessons from LA , I go back to Kansas City or Baltimore to see family and the idiots driving can't get up to the speed limit much less exceed it and lets not mention 30 points lower on the IQ scale than the idiots around here . Down south there you have traffic but it's MOVING , from 3:00 pm on some freeways look like parking lots here .

I let my daughter drive once in KC picking me up at the airport , been rental cars with the adults white knuckled and the grand kids grinning like crazy ever since .

As much as the west coast sucks take my word for this , do a tour of the south and lower east coast states you'll never bitch about 5 again .
Was born in Florida and lived 17 years of my life in Georgia! Been up and down that whole area many times! 63,000 miles in three years on a 92 Softail custom and I'll take that over I-5 any day!!

Old 11-27-2011 | 05:59 AM
mplecha
Stellar HDF Member

Was born in Florida and lived 17 years of my life in Georgia! Been up and down that whole area many times! 63,000 miles in three years on a 92 Softail custom and I'll take that over I-5 any day!!
Agreed!!

Old 11-27-2011 | 12:03 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

That's cool some people like life in the slow lanes , I didn't deal well with the south .

Quick Reply: Riding Style?