General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight 26" 8 Drawer Roller Cabinet with 8 Drawer Top Chest

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 PM
CEJohnson21
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might depend on how much you use your tools. I'm just a weekend mechanic and most tool boxes will work for me. I have some Craftsman and a "Husky" I bought at Home Depot. The Craftsman is better, but the Husky is OK for me. The Craftsman I'll pass along to my son some day. The Husky will probably get dumped in the trash when I'm gone.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:08 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Not all craftsman boxes are made to the same level of quality.
I have that model of Craftsman. The thin steel drawers will bend if you load them down at all, bearings are nice but they don't work well if the drawers are bent. Join the craftsman club and you will probably see it on sale 2-3 times a year.

I don't have the HF box but have looked at some of them and they seemed to be heavier duty than that grade of craftsman. If you decide to get it (or anything from HF) join the HF club (special sale prices) and look for 20% off coupons.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM
tmilo1000
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd go with the Craftsman. American made and imo better than HF. I compare it to the dependable Zippo lighter and the disposable butane lighter.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:45 PM
SIDECAR BOB
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

like a previous poster said there are different levels of craftsman boxes, but to me none of the newer ones dont seem as smooth or nicely made as they once were. Honestly go in and check both out in person , open and close the drawers see which oines seem stronger and smoother , and what the finish looks like. the newer hf boxes are pretty decent, but don't really think the finish is up to the top of the line craftsmasn. the lesser cost craftsmans start making the hf models more attractive/ looking at the links you posted .I would take the time to see both in person before deciding , the hf is rated higher in weight capacity and the sears looks like the lowerend unit vs the profesional model next to it.
an just a little thought to add to the mix , a lot of car and bike magazines have a 20% off coupon that you can use on it at harbor freight

Last edited by SIDECAR BOB; 11-23-2011 at 02:50 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:12 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
The HF doesn't mention whether or not the drawers are ball bearing. Very important IMO, as the drawers get heavy when loaded with tools. I would go with the Craftsman myself.
All HF boxes except for the real cheesy cheapies are bearing and drawers are removable much easier that the Craftsman stuff . Thing you have to watch with HF stuff is they have monkeys working for them so take a hard look at what you buy and make sure it's still straight & square before you leave the place . Seen a few boxes that have been bent from being dropped once they where unpacked .

For a garage box for the average guy you can't beat the prices , sears stuff is over rated anymore .

I'd go with the Craftsman. American made and imo better than HF. I compare it to the dependable Zippo lighter and the disposable butane lighter.
Hate to pop your bubble but unless your spending big money on their commercial line everything sears sells is imported anymore particularly the under $1000 tool boxes .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-23-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:22 PM
silverwolf79
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Hate to pop your bubble but unless your spending big money on their commercial line everything sears sells is imported anymore particularly the under $1000 tool boxes .
I've heard the same about all Craftsman Tools , I've never checked it out though , just sayin' .

Old 11-23-2011, 04:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,986 Likes on 17,897 Posts

Originally Posted by silverwolf79
I've heard the same about all Craftsman Tools , I've never checked it out though , just sayin' .
They were made out of a place in Colorado but that was over 25 years ago and it was laying off then so I wouldn't be a bit surprised .

Old 11-25-2011, 09:32 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm off the HF today to get this box they have. After reading numerous reviews, I ahve decided on HF as my buddy is a member of their frequnt buyers club, I avhe a 20% off coupon and I am going to try and get the floor model so hopefully I'll get out for Under $300. It's gonna be tough to get it in my apartment with the double hernia I have but with the help of a friend i think we can get it done.

Drew

Old 11-25-2011, 10:16 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Check this out
Montezuma Crossover 6-Drawer Roller Cabinet — Model# BK2606PP
www.montezumamfg.com

Old 11-25-2011, 10:48 AM
Slickster63
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a nice HF cabinet ... very happy with it ... seems strong and sturdy, drawers roll nice. Good enough for me

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight 26" 8 Drawer Roller Cabinet with 8 Drawer Top Chest