General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would no one help?

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:52 AM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Why would no one help?

Yesterday I went out for a ride that takes me on about a 50 mile loop around where I live. I got about 20 miles from the house and passed a downed rider in a grassy area along side of the road.

Basically, a guy and his wife were out for a ride (she had just finished her Motorcycle Safety Course the day before), they came around a bend in the road, she lost control, went off the road, and banged up the bike and herself pretty good.

When I got there it had just happened and apparently her husband had just gotten back to her. A guy in a van had stopped and said it looked like she hit a tree root lying in the road.

Anyway, the girl's hand was bleeding and her hip and leg were pretty sore. But, she refused medical attention. The highway bar was bent back to the point that the shift lever was difficult to operate, turn signals broken, windshield gone, front fender broken in half. But, the bike was still rideable. However, it was obvious that she was in no condition to ride.

So, I offered to go back to the house, get the motorcycle trailer, load her bike up, and follow the husband back to their house (about 30 miles beyond where she had crashed).

Now it took me about 45 minutes to get back home, hook up the trailer and get back to them (took some peroxide and a first aid kit back with me). After we loaded her bike up and got on the road, she told me that NO ONE who stopped while I was gone offered to help them. Apparently, everyone that stopped was nothing more than rubber-neckers who just wanted to see what had happened.

I guess I've just related this mostly to vent about why no one offered to help these folks. I can't help but wonder why. Have we gotten to the point that we are so wrapped up in ourselves that we won't even stop to help someone else in trouble? Did no one offer to help because they were bikers? If they had been in a cage, would it have been a different story? All I can say is that I'm extremely disappointed and ashamed that no one else around here even offered to help.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:57 AM
vtwinhd59
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People are A-holes in general. You are to be commended for being one of them. Keep up the good work. Karma will be extended to you in the future.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:10 AM
ParkerH
Cruiser

This past summer someone rolled their truck in the ditch by my house. Luckily the driver was in better shape than the truck, he was up and walking around. The truck was laying there for about an hour, right next to the road. Now for being late at night there was quite a bit of traffic on my road, not a single person even slowed down! They just flew by like nothing happened! People are just douchebags, like vtwinhd59 said, your a good person. People that help others are getting harder and harder to find!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 AM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer

I always carry a first-aid kit. I hope all "baggers" do.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good on you Fletch..............I empathize on what you are saying.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 AM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 239 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinhd59
People are A-holes in general. You are to be commended for being one of them. Keep up the good work. Karma will be extended to you in the future.
Think you left a word out of that thread?

Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

I think there are 3 major reasons why people don't stop to help:

1. Cell phones. Everyone assumes you have a cell phone and help is on the way.
2. Lawsuits. People are afraid if they stop to help, you'll sue them. (before you point out the "good Samaritan" acts, please read them. In FL, at least, it doesn't protect as much as many think)
3. Robbery. There have been incidents of muggers faking a breakdown and then attacking people who stop.

And of course- alot of people are A-holes these days!

I usually stop, but it depends on the situation.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
cbrenthus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,635 Likes on 678 Posts

Double post

Old 11-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Johnny Nitro
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vtwinhd59
Yep...pretty much.
Ran into a similar situation myself. Was riding a honda 500 interceptor I had just bought when I was 18. It was sputtering and finally died out on me on a 50mph road. There wasn't much of a berm, but luckily, there wasn't ditches on the side of the road, so I just pulled off into some nice level grass. Turns out I had just ran out of gas and had to switch to reserve on my tank. Probably sat there looking over my bike for a good 20 minutes before I figured it out. No one stopped for me either.

Although, someone did yell out "Fu**ing douchbag" while zooming by in their car!

Old 11-22-2011, 07:34 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Scroll Back

I had to scroll back to the top of the posting to see where you lived. That type of sh** here in NJ is the norm. What has become of the "human" in human being? It has become, and not just of recent, a very harsh world. I would like to think that I have not become that hardened or non caring about others around me. As I age, I find myself re-evaluating my priorities and goals and wishes for the future.

I would like to end up living in an area of the country where the general attitude and actions of the local population are more respectfull of each other. I know it sounds hokey, but, I'm tired of the "rat race". I think that is one of the reasons I feel so comfortable as a biker. We afford each other our own community, based on our common love of riding.

Quick Reply: Why would no one help?