General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on a 2nd bike from the HD line?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM
jjmeadowlark
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on a 2nd bike from the HD line?

Hi guys.. Been lurking on this forum for a while. Some background- I have a 2009 Triumph Bonneville that I wouldn't trade for anything, but am thinking about adding a 2nd ride to my garage.

I really, really, really like the xr1200, but frankly it's too similar (not a knock, seems like a great bike) to what I'm riding now. I rode a 883 sportster for a while and loved the torque from stoplight to stoplight, but it left something to be desired out on the road.

I've looked at the Jap models, but nothing really seemed to move me except the Suzuki B-King (Hayabusa engine shoe-horned into a standard frame- might be a bit too much for me) or Yamaha VMAX..

Looking for standard riding position, but more "low" end power than my Bonnie has (very mild from 0-4k rpm, after that- hold on to your freaking hat!). I'd also like a more comfortable highway ride than my naked Bonnie provides.

Just wanted to see what you guys might suggest I look at in the HD line, I don't know much about 'em.

Has to be comfortable, a lower than usual seat (I assume this in a HD) or more relaxed riding position than my Bonnie, and has to be faster...

Thanks in advance...

JJM

Last edited by jjmeadowlark; 11-20-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:36 PM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

V-Rod maybe. The 1200cc HD VTwin only produces about 65HP in normal trim which puts it in the same territory as the larger Japanese scooters like the Bergman and Silver Wing.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:30 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

I love my Fat Boy. Comfy but in no way a quick bike. Its made for cruisin the highway. If you want something peppy go with the vrod but I (5ft 9in 210lbs) am not too comfortable on it even though if there was a second bike in my garage the Vrod would be it.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:31 PM
jjmeadowlark
1st Gear

Thanks! I've been clicking around on the interwebs, and from what I've seen there..I like the Dyna Super Glide a little.. Looks comfy, and good torque. I also kinda like the Softail Deluxe.

The V-Rod is certainly a killer bike.. Really FAST! Might be a tad too much though, just like the B-King or Rocket III. I was really surprised at how reasonably priced it is.. Seems like the V-Rod is a great value. The folks I've seen riding them seem like they're really reaching forward to get to the bars, tho...

Maybe my best bet is to actually go to a dealership and start sitting on a few examples!

Thanks again.

JJM

Old 11-20-2011, 05:35 PM
scasey
Road Master

If your looking for speed I wouldn't be looking at HD.
Deluxe is a nice for cruising but look at the Heritage also

Old 11-20-2011, 05:48 PM
mikebell_eng
Cruiser

Should really go to Demo, I still go to them just to ride the different bikes and see what improvements they made. Don't worry about the bike being too much for you as far as speed, just don't twist the right hand as much

Old 11-20-2011, 05:53 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

If you can tolerate the riding position, some dealers give away V-Rods, as they are not quick sellers. Bringing the bars higher and in toward the rider would make for a more comfortable ride.

It's still not a rocket, and not a diesel either in the real low end torque either, but it has respectable acceleration and respectable low end.

Old 11-20-2011, 06:01 PM
jjmeadowlark
1st Gear

Thank you all very much for your thoughtful replies. I really don't know much about HD bikes, and I appreciate you all tolerating my ignorance!

I think I'll head over to my local dealer to look at a V-Rod- seems like a lot of bike for the $$, esp. if they're not hot sellers and I might get a good deal. Also looking at BMW and Aprilla bikes too. Haven't looked at Guzzi's or Duc's yet, but maybe there's something there as well.

Motorcycle shopping... Oh, woe is me! LOL!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:15 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Dyna Switchback.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:32 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, look at the Dyna Switchback. It's lighter than the bigger touring Harleys, has the seat height you're after, and the bags and windshield are mounted with quick on and off hardware.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a 2nd bike from the HD line?