General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Silver anodized face shield question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2006, 09:59 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Silver anodized face shield question?

I just got a silver anodized, replacement face shield for my helmet. I live in south Florida and even with my sunglasses on it is overly bright, when riding toward the sun. I have a clear face shield, so thought it would be easier on my eyes, if I got a dark face shield.
The only replacement shield I found on the net, for my helmet, was either clear or silver anodized. I assumed the anodized version would be some what like mirror sun glasses and would help reflect the sun away.
When I opened the package the new shield looked basically just like my clear one. I walked outside and compared the 2 shields and could barely see a hint of grey in the new one, other than that I would of thought it was a clear shield.
I put it back in the house and glanced at it in passing and it looked like a silver mirror. Took it back outside and it looked clear again.
Does anyone have a silver anodized shield? Does yours look like a clear shield outside? I am trying to determine if my shield is normal or they sent me one that wasn't anodized properly.
Thanks for any feed back.
Tom

Old 12-02-2006, 10:42 PM
RudeDog
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Silver anodized face shield question?

Anodizing can ONLY be done on aluminum parts. The last time I checked it was impossible to see through the thinnest aluminum. My guess is the aluminum hardware on the shield is anodized but not the plastic shield itself.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I wear a full face helmet, I get the super dark tinted shield (arai brand) so I don't have to wear sunglasses. The "anondized" shields are too easy to scratch and stuff...

Old 12-03-2006, 01:18 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RudeDog

Anodizing can ONLY be done on aluminum parts. The last time I checked it was impossible to see through the thinnest aluminum. My guess is the aluminum hardware on the shield is anodized but not the plastic shield itself.

There is no hardware on the shield, it is all plastic.
It is sold as a "Silver Anodized Shield for TS-15 Helmet" which is the model of my THH helmet.
On the THH web site they show the 2 different models of Shields. You can get clear and various tinted ones as one type or get anodized type that comes in silver,gold,bronze (something like that) I don't know the exact colors, since I don't have the site pulled up.
Tom

Old 12-03-2006, 01:27 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss

When I wear a full face helmet, I get the super dark tinted shield (arai brand) so I don't have to wear sunglasses. The "anondized" shields are too easy to scratch and stuff...
I started off looking for a dark ,tinted, replacement shield. I had a hard time finding a vendor that sold replacement shields, for the THH helmet. When I finally found one, they only had a choice of clear or the anodized silver one. Earlier I got on the THH web site and they showed the whole selection of shields, but didn't appear to sell them from that site.
The anodized one cost more than the regular one. I guess I should of searched further, but I assumed it would look like the mirrored silver sunglasses.
Tom