General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership has gone sour!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My dealership has gone sour!

I thought I'd found the best HD dealership. For the last 4 years they seemed to be willing to do whatever made me happy. This year they seem to have changed their philosophy. My last 3 dealings this year with them have not made me happy. After spending probably over $40K there during those 4 years, they now don't seem to want to keep me as a customer. First they didn't want to deal at all on a new bike for my wife this year. Then they weren't willing to match another dealer's price for an extended warranty because they said they would only make $100 if they matched the price. Now they don't want to give 20 percent off for some chrome wheels after telling them another dealership is selling them for that price. Previously, they always seem to bend over backwards to make a deal with me. I don't understand why they now aren't willing to make a little less on a purchase rather than not make anything.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:22 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so did you buy from them

Old 11-18-2011, 11:24 AM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like a case of new management to me. Management is a philosophy. Some feel that customer service is the key to higher revenues. Happier customers return to spend more money. They pay more for a service when they can go down the road to an indy.

Others think that revenue is made through a rigid pricing strategy. They think that you can control revenues with only numbers. They take the human element off the table.

What the people in this latter group don't realize is that all of the numbers in the world won't save your business if no one walks through the door. That is often a lesson learned the hard way. If I was you, I would teach them that lesson by taking my business elsewhere.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:33 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the wheels, are they being installed or just the bare wheels? If you want the dealer to install them and he can access the parts he should get the business. If you have two dealers accessible to you that can install the parts, why are you dealing with the first one?

Old 11-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
so did you buy from them
We didn't do my wife's bike deal at all. We will wait to find a good deal somewhere else. I bought the extended warranty from the other dealership. And I'll be buying the wheels from the other dealership as well. I let my original dealership know I would go to the other dealership if they didn't match the prices of the extended warranty and the wheels. They didn't seem to care!

Old 11-18-2011, 11:42 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BigGdawg
With the wheels, are they being installed or just the bare wheels? If you want the dealer to install them and he can access the parts he should get the business. If you have two dealers accessible to you that can install the parts, why are you dealing with the first one?
The deal on the wheels from the 2nd dealer was 20 percent off for all parts and labor. Since I also have to get tires with the wheels and have them installed, I'll be saving about $360 on the deal. I won't be doing the deal with the first dealership.

Last edited by Ozoneman; 11-18-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

sad thing is a lot of these dealerships that end up being ran by jerks live on for years

Old 11-18-2011, 12:06 PM
ChopperBill
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,034 Likes on 1,231 Posts

In 79-80 I bought a 79 FX, a 80 FX for the wife and an 80 FLH. That Christmas the dealer gave me a bottle of Jack, a Harley rug and enough stuff to fill a couple of Christmas stockings. The new dealer now has folks that think they are doing you favor to let you come into the door.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 394 Posts

A dealer's only as good as its weakest link. Perhaps you found said link.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:26 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
I thought I'd found the best HD dealership. For the last 4 years they seemed to be willing to do whatever made me happy. This year they seem to have changed their philosophy. My last 3 dealings this year with them have not made me happy. After spending probably over $40K there during those 4 years, they now don't seem to want to keep me as a customer. First they didn't want to deal at all on a new bike for my wife this year. Then they weren't willing to match another dealer's price for an extended warranty because they said they would only make $100 if they matched the price. Now they don't want to give 20 percent off for some chrome wheels after telling them another dealership is selling them for that price. Previously, they always seem to bend over backwards to make a deal with me. I don't understand why they now aren't willing to make a little less on a purchase rather than not make anything.

Maybe they just got tired of 4 years of bending over backwards. Everyone likes a good deal, but sounds like you might have pressed your luck a few times too often. Just my opinion based on what I'm reading into your post.

Quick Reply: My dealership has gone sour!