General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership has gone sour!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Wanna Ride
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 18 Posts

Traveler summed it up pretty good on several counts.

I'd like to add a little perspective from a consumer on why, how and when I spend my cash on a luxury item, or accessories for that item - aka motorcycle.

As much as I enjoy it, and as much as I think I can't live without it, or it's role in the "lifestyle", I'll tell you right now - it'll be the first thing to go if I get in financial dire straits. Everything else is much more important to me and my family. You know... gas, food, utilities, insurance. Therefore by definition, it's a luxury.

That being said, all of us are on budgets. Some are larger than others, and some are adhered to, more than others. Some of us have the will-power to only spend cash that they have in-hand. Some are foolish and run up credit cards impulsively, with no concern to finance charges, fees, or pricing.

Personally, I know EXACTLY how much I can spend annually on my hobbies, and luxuries. And I stick tightly to that budget. Ocassionally, I may come across some additional disposable income, via some side work or hustles, that my initial budget did not provide. Sometimes I may come across a vehicle or piece of equipment that I can pick up, resell, and make a few bucks on. Some guys may do side-work on the weekends or evenings. Good for them, because in this economy (or any other), that's a good thing. But it takes initiative, enthusiasm, and self-discipline.

I will add that while it may take me months to save up for the stuff I want, I'm also cautious about how I eventually spend that stash. And I will take advantage of every honest resource I can. If I have to shop around to do so, then that just makes me an educated, and cautious consumer. I will however, not stoop to unscrupulous levels to take advantage of discounts I did not earn, or are not intended for me. I'm not going to try and cheat a dealer, or seller out of one red cent. What I'm saying is, I play fair. I don't bitch and moan, I don't try to beat them up, and I don't hold them hostage. I merely ask the price if it's not clearly labeled. If I want the item, and it's reasonably priced, then I buy. And I have usually done my homework by the time I get to that point. If not, then shame on me. I know for a fact, I want to get the absolute most I can for my dollar, within reason.

Some buyers don't know better, or just don't care. Good for them if that works in their world. That's none of my business. But when it comes to my money.. it is my business, and no one elses. On the other end of the spectrum, I'll be the first to agree. We've all seen some consumers behaving embarrassingly in a dealership. You know the guy... he bitches loudly about the price of everything, and is constantly beating up the parts guy or the salesman. Agreed. That guy is an ***.

But for a dealer to look at guys like myself as unsavory because I ask prices, and sometimes decline an offer, then I have one thing to say to them... Good Luck. I'll come by and check out the inventory at their liquidation sale.

As many bad customers as there are, there are equal ratios of arrogant, "give me all your money and go away" dealers. That very arrogance will drop them to their knees. I like the concept of them being weeded out, and thinning the herd. But, competition is good for everyone. Dealers and customers alike. What I don't care for is the greed of the motor company. If dealer "A" wants to make his numbers through sheer volume, then so be it. And if dealer "B" wants to make his numbers through specialized customer service, then so be it. For anyone to try and make us believe that business can't be profitable through high-volume, then shame on you for thinking we're all that foolish.

There's some truth and worth in what every consumer has to say. And ultimately, we play a larger part in a dealer's success than any of their educated marketing and sales staff. Because if we have no money to spend, or we feel we're being treated disrespectfully, then the cash will stay in our wallets... as we walk out their front door. Dealer arrogance has killed many more sales than obnoxious consumers ever have. Eventually, the obnoxious consumer still spends his money... somewhere.

Last edited by Wanna Ride; 11-23-2011 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize so many Harvard school of business graduates were on this form.

#1. Price
#2. Quality
#3. Service

pick any two you never get all three.