Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership has gone sour!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
ZZZCICI
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=zworld;9057281]I don't understand why people want to get on here and complain about their local harley dealer. Stop going to them. I never go to the dealer, I don't buy extended warranties either, your just throwing your money away. If you can spend 40k in four years, you got enough cash to be foolish with your money. So quit bitchin. God I get so amused @ all the foolish spending.[/quote}

Obviously there is no clear definitive logic when it comes to spending and supporting your local dealer.
Spending is proportionate to income. I shop around out of necessity. If I save $50 bucks on a part, I then have $50 bucks available to use elsewhere. Probably the cable bill, or the phone bill, etc.

Donald Trump can afford to walk into a dealership and assemble a list of everything he may want. He probably would not even ask about how much it is going to cost.

On the other hand the poor soul that works 60 hours a week at some warehouse for 30K a year, likes to pay his bills on time, and stretched his bike payment out for 8 - 10 years may have to scrimp and save his nickels for many many months to buy that aftermarket part.

OK my point is , there are RUBS and there are PO BOYS, and the dealership shouldn't see every customer that enters his store as Mr. or Ms. Deep pockets. Sometimes it seems like the message is spend and spend big or go away...

Old 11-20-2011, 11:05 AM
Sturgeon
Road Captain
Received 368 Likes on 205 Posts

Second DannyZ71. My thought's to. How many times do they have to bend over. Gene

Old 11-20-2011, 12:49 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Old 11-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Wanna Ride
Gotta call you out on that statement. That's the EXACT reason the MoCo's been cranking down on the dealers (we know who they are), that sell for 20% online.
The online sales crackdown as been to support the dealers outside the US.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:07 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It's plainly obvious who here works for a dealer.

I'll put it plainly:

This is a capitalist country. Competition is king.

There is no "give and take". I am the customer. It's MY money. That means I get my way, or you don't make any money.

So, in short...fk 'em. Post the name of the dealer who is doing this to you. I will ensure they never get any of my business.

That's how simple it is guys. Bullshit on "the past". It has forever been the way of competition. If you want to succeed in ANY business, you have to beat the next guy. The big 3 forgot this, and that is why Toyota is #1 in US sales now.

I don't need a handshake, smile, or bottle of Jack.....When we're talking BUSINESS, were talking BUSINESS.

As long as it's MY MONEY being spent, I WILL be made happy, or you, the businessman loses out. There is always another dealer who will want my money.

Those who don't understand this basic concept....do yourself a favor....don't go into business for yourself.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-20-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

thank you Joe, I don't think it would matter if me or you were millionaires, we still wouldn't give it away.

I'm glad a few weeks ago when I had cash on the table within $500. of what a dealer wanted for a 2008 RK he didn't take it, I wouldn't have a new one today. He knew I came 150 miles and thought I wouldn't leave... or maybe I found his bottom?

I sold and built collectible farm toys for over 25 years, believing in quanity and quick turn over. I took my 5-10% profit in a week, while I watched others carry that same item around for over a year many times and maybe make 20%. I kept buying more because there was an endless supply, while they held the same one for more profit. Who do you think had more returning customers and referrals ?

Old 11-20-2011, 03:01 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

Originally Posted by 3/4 life crisis
I'm in sales (not bikes, or cars), and have attended more than several sales trainings. It's hard for customers to grasp the concept of simple things like discounts. For example, if a company gives out only 10% off discounts to everything they sell, in order to maintain the same profit $, they have to sell 1.8X more.
i'm sorry, i know you said that it was a long and complicated process, but you're gonna have to show me how a dealership has to sell almost twice the goods to make up for a 10% discount.....

Old 11-20-2011, 05:49 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain

It is YOUR money, spend it where YOU want to.

Old 11-20-2011, 05:50 PM
Saphira
Tourer

I live in the West and a number of the dealerships are in financial trouble. Some have gone out of business altogether and others have sold their dealership to other HD dealership owners. Times are hard and I find many dealerships, not only HD dealerships, are not as willing to deal or offer a discount. Sign of the times. We need to wait it out.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:40 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Like I said, it's capitalism.

If they wanted your business, believe me, they would go and get it. They either think they don't need you, or....are too stupid to be playing in the big leagues.

Go where you can get the best deal.

oh....and they HAVE to do your service work, as they are a franchise!

~Joe

Quick Reply: My dealership has gone sour!