General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My dealership has gone sour!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Maybe they just got tired of 4 years of bending over backwards. Everyone likes a good deal, but sounds like you might have pressed your luck a few times too often. Just my opinion based on what I'm reading into your post.
But does it make sense for them to not make any money rather than make a little less by meeting the other dealership's prices?

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Some folks are like that. They'll go so far, but when they hit their personal limit, that's it.

Buy a new bike from them and see what happens.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,172 Likes on 5,018 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Maybe they just got tired of 4 years of bending over backwards. Everyone likes a good deal, but sounds like you might have pressed your luck a few times too often. Just my opinion based on what I'm reading into your post.
agreed!! everybody like loyality, and its a give and take situation, these guys were good the the op for a long time, and got rewarded by him shopping another dealer to leverage against them, thats starts getting old and a little on the disrespectful side, if you got their best price and it can be beaten, don't rub it in their face after they've been good to you, loyality is a fading characteristic. Maybe they were a better dealership than he was a customer

Old 11-18-2011, 01:14 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
But does it make sense for them to not make any money rather than make a little less by meeting the other dealership's prices?
Possibly, yes it might make sense. Scenario: Maybe the dealership has dug itself into a hole by being too good to customers, thinking that those customers would become loyal and would occasionally show the love back by being willing to pay retail time to time to keep a good dealership in business. Then the dealership finds out that all they did was create a lot of spoiled customers who demand deep discounts on everything without a care they are bleeding the dealership dry. So the dealership decides to let those customers go and focus on new customers who will help them make a profit.

Then again, maybe they are just greedy jerks.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM
AZRenegade
Tourer
Received 84 Likes on 44 Posts

Look at it from the dealer's perspective. A good relationship requires a little give and take by both parties. For 4 years you have enjoyed good service and discounts (minimal profit) from the dealer and given nothing in return except walk through the door. As soon as the dealer asks you to reciprocate, you run to another dealer merely to benefit from a 20% discount. How do you know that this new dealer will be as good to you over the long haul? In short the dealer served you well for 4 years and as soon as things don't go your way, you run out. Not a very loyal customer.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

---------

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:38 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Zig Zag 2010
WTF? Are the last three posts from bazzaro world? Loyalty? Ha! By that line of thinking maybe the OP should ask them out for dinner and drinks and maybe offer them a BJ.
Dealer loyalty goes as far as the end of your wallet.
Take your business elsewhere if your not satisfied.

I think that is exactly what the dealership is wanting.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:56 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I think that all of this business about the OP asking for too much is ridiculous. These dealers get their parts from H-D at the same (or close to the same) cost. By refusing to match a price that dealer is making no profit rather than a small profit. Too bad for them.

Also, good customer service is not always about lower prices and free parts. Often it is about general respect for the customers and valuing their business. Something as simple as an old fashioned thank you card after someone buys a bike can go a long way to making the customer feel valued and making them loyal to that dealership. Sometimes it is nice to know that we are more than an open wallet for these guys.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Zig Zag 2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

----------!

Last edited by Zig Zag 2010; 11-21-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:38 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

"I'm steak"

Quick Reply: My dealership has gone sour!