General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skilled Riders Course!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 08:50 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Skilled Riders Course!

I took the Skilled Riders Course today through my local HD dealer and it was a lot of fun along with allowing me to brush up on my riding techniques. I've taken the course before through MSF, but think it was called the Advanced or Experienced Rider Course. Either way, the low speed maneuvers, swerving techniques and emergency braking exercises are things we often take for granted, but can potentially save your life. If anyone is on the fence about taking one of these courses you really should do it. Great way to spend a day on your bike and learn something useful while doing it.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:53 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What did it run you? How long was it? I took a course on the Navy base in San Diego many years ago. I think I'd like to take one of those like you did.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:55 PM
Honey-Badger
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 402 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by XKnight
I took the Skilled Riders Course today through my local HD dealer and it was a lot of fun along with allowing me to brush up on my riding techniques. I've taken the course before through MSF, but think it was called the Advanced or Experienced Rider Course. Either way, the low speed maneuvers, swerving techniques and emergency braking exercises are things we often take for granted, but can potentially save your life. If anyone is on the fence about taking one of these courses you really should do it. Great way to spend a day on your bike and learn something useful while doing it.
Good for you! You are dead on...

Unfortunately, I would have to unlearn too many bad habits - ie: two finger braking, etc...

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by afoulsmell
What did it run you? How long was it? I took a course on the Navy base in San Diego many years ago. I think I'd like to take one of those like you did.
It cost $100 and was about 5 hours long. We were on the bikes almost the whole time, no classroom time at all. There were only 5 of us in the class which made it run smoothly with no downtime.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:35 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

When I took mine it cost $100. and you got a gift certificate for $50. for HD merchandise and the class was awesome. I had only been riding for 2 years but had bought the Johnny Motorman Ride Like a Pro DVD and been practicing in parking lots. The class lets you work on those slow maneuvers that can get you into trouble real fast. Everyone should take it.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:39 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, If you do take one of these courses, make sure you report it to your insurance agent. Sometimes it's worth a discount! If not, then find yourself another insurance agent.

Mike

Old 11-13-2011, 07:46 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheap expense for a course that will provide skills that can save your life. When I took it, everyone there gained a huge improvement to their riding skills. And it was enjoyable too. Highly recommend either this one or RLAP.