General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=rlowride;9037297]They don't have the parts either and have to order it anyway!!!
I might as well order it from home, pay for it at home... Get it at home!!!
/QUOTE]

Yep, I like to support my dealer, BUT they don't carry hard parts anymore, most everything (especially on an older bike) has to be ordered.

So if I'm gonna order and wait, may as well save 20-30%.

Good people at St. Paul I wish them luck.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:50 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fish eye
I guess the part that's not clear to me is that customer's don't order directly from the MOCO. So if a dealer wants to sell for less than MSRP, what's the difference? The MOCO got their share already. Discounted parts come out of the dealers' pockets, not the MOCO. Sell enough at volume, and you still make money. And then the MOCO still makes money.
+1. I don't get it either.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:55 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 418 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
It'll be interesting to see who will tell H-D that the "S" in MSRP means "suggested" and not "imposed". A Federal judge maybe?
Vance & Hines is now(since July 1st 2011) doing the same thing with their dealer network. V&H dealers are NOT allowed to sell for more than 10% below MSRP.
They call it the MAP - Minimum Advertised Pricing Policy
http://www.vanceandhines.com/map/map.html

I'm glad I bought my Monster Ovals in June at about 30% below MSRP.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:13 PM
honorsdaddy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passae
Be careful what you wish for...MOCo has a brand to protect. If MOCO allows their dealers to sell new products anywhere, it cheapens the brand. It also cheapens the investment that ALL dealers made to buy the franchise. It also cheapens your sled. HD still holds value better than the competition...and this is why. if they start selling new bikes for 30 percent off, like the metrics, you now have a personal problem called....My bike is worth nothing!!!
Maybe you've not noticed, but used HDs are not exactly going for the prices they used to. Sure, they sell for more in the used market than a metric, but they cost more in the first place.

If HD is that good, they wont have any problem maintaining market dominance even if sold on price. After all, they don't seem to have any problem selling at MSRP now.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
...The manufacturer sells for whatever their market will bear. What the dealer sells that product for is their own damn business.

If one dealer is more aggressive and innovative, why shouldn't he be rewarded?
Why is it that you can't buy an Apple iPad discounted anywhere? Because Apple tells the dealers what they can sell for. Why not Harley?

Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 PM
cptdenny
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Why is it that you can't buy an Apple iPad discounted anywhere? Because Apple tells the dealers what they can sell for. Why not Harley?
Just wait 6 months and you'll get that discount on the Apple product you're looking for.

Want a great deal on a Apple 2nd Gen iPhone while you're waiting?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:27 AM
stircrazy
Cruiser

this policy stinks of Deeley. first he makes it so we can import new Harleys from the US and keep warenty.. this is stage two. no more cheep parts for Canadians through online shopping.. instead we'll have to pay the Canadian version of the MSRP (US MSRP plus 20 to 100%) this way he can justify 2 to 4 HD dealerships in citys with less than 1000000 people.

Steve

Old 11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master

I sure wish I could get a look at that agreement Deeley has with the Moco. I suspect it's a big part of the whole issue. If they continue to allow ebay sales to Canadians, I'm pretty sure they're breaking the agreement they have with Deeley. Of course, that was signed off on before Al Gore created this internet thing that is making it so easy to sell internationally. I wonder what kind of penalties are in the agreement in the event that the Moco breaks the agreement.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:28 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by iandavid
It's not just about ebay and amazon. They are also responding to issues from dealers outside the US. I used to be able to buy genuine HD parts from US authorised HD dealers and ship to Japan. Shipping costs and import taxes added around 20% to the cost of the part. Buy the same part from HD Japan and you are looking at a 200% mark up on the US price. HD Japan wants to protect it's revenue stream. I know the US$ is very weak vs the Yen but the price levels of parts here is really taking the ****.
Same scenario here in Australia with the exception that we are duty free for the first $1,000 value of goods imported. HD Australia was also a party to the ban on dealers selling P&A overseas.
The only good news for us is with the current strength of the Aussie $ HD Australia was able to lock in better purchasing power and DID pass a discount to the buyers for P&A here-- 17% as I have been informed.
Considering high shipping costs, this puts us almost on par with US retail prices from dealers buying off the counter. We fared reasonably well all said and done, as our P&A pricing was outrageously expensive prior to this.

Our used and new bike prices have dropped on some models as well, as dealers here are now importing new and used bikes as "grey imports" with VIN # 1HDxxxxxx (which tells us this is the case rather than the international VIN designation 5HDxxxxx). They have to meet the design rules here though which generally consists of a speedo change from miles to kilometers and relocating some models turn indicators etc.

Old 11-15-2011, 04:52 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Dawson
Same thing with Bose, no matter where i look they all have the same price.
So be it

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions