General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by passae
Be careful what you wish for...MOCo has a brand to protect. If MOCO allows their dealers to sell new products anywhere, it cheapens the brand. It also cheapens the investment that ALL dealers made to buy the franchise. It also cheapens your sled. HD still holds value better than the competition...and this is why. if they start selling new bikes for 30 percent off, like the metrics, you now have a personal problem called....My bike is worth nothing!!!

It's called free market. Products should be priced by value, not unfair trade practices.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,370 Likes on 2,543 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
told ya!! freedom to repair!!! dealers want to sell to indies!!
you must have read a different article than i did. the one i read dealt with selling to non-us customers and on ebay or amazon....

Old 11-13-2011, 08:16 PM
puma
Advanced

beakerztoyz you must be from LA. I was in that dealership & noticed parts & accessories were priced above MSRP.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:33 PM
beakerztoyz
Tourer

Originally Posted by puma
beakerztoyz you must be from LA. I was in that dealership & noticed parts & accessories were priced above MSRP.
Yup and I was shocked, didn't know they did that with other parts too, thought they were just trying to gouge me, I really don't understand the whole concept of restricting who dealer's can sell to based on area, seems like in some cases it will just drive customers to the competition

Old 11-13-2011, 11:16 PM
tar_snake
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,043 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by passae
Be careful what you wish for...MOCo has a brand to protect. If MOCO allows their dealers to sell new products anywhere, it cheapens the brand. It also cheapens the investment that ALL dealers made to buy the franchise. It also cheapens your sled. HD still holds value better than the competition...and this is why. if they start selling new bikes for 30 percent off, like the metrics, you now have a personal problem called....My bike is worth nothing!!!
+1 I'm poor as dirt and on a gfixed income and went straight to H-D for a bike because they're simply the best. Even my old '72 iron head rat bike never gave me any grief.

I don't honestly understand this thing 100%, and this is my take on it - I can't see kicking H-D in the nuts so I can turn around later and watch them say 'seeya azzhole! We're now broke and quitting the biz', leaving me with a collectors item I won't see anything on until I'm 30 years dead and gone.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
iandavid
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's not just about ebay and amazon. They are also responding to issues from dealers outside the US. I used to be able to buy genuine HD parts from US authorised HD dealers and ship to Japan. Shipping costs and import taxes added around 20% to the cost of the part. Buy the same part from HD Japan and you are looking at a 200% mark up on the US price. HD Japan wants to protect it's revenue stream. I know the US$ is very weak vs the Yen but the price levels of parts here is really taking the ****.

Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RockerSE
I think we should all such up for their email as a show of support!

http://www.stpaulhd.com/
I did yesterday.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:52 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

January 1st H-D is going to enforce their policy about selling new, current P&A on auction sites for less than MSRP. Let's see how that goes.

Old 11-14-2011, 01:01 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by extech
January 1st H-D is going to enforce their policy about selling new, current P&A on auction sites for less than MSRP. Let's see how that goes.
It'll be interesting to see who will tell H-D that the "S" in MSRP means "suggested" and not "imposed". A Federal judge maybe?

Old 11-14-2011, 01:06 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

I guess the part that's not clear to me is that customer's don't order directly from the MOCO. So if a dealer wants to sell for less than MSRP, what's the difference? The MOCO got their share already. Discounted parts come out of the dealers' pockets, not the MOCO. Sell enough at volume, and you still make money. And then the MOCO still makes money.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions