General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beakerztoyz
when I went into my local dealer to price out a tach, he wanted 20 bucks MORE than the Canadian msrp, even though he woulda still had to order it. and Harley tries to make it so I can't order it from any other dealer huh, which I guess might help my local guy, except for the fact that I was so mad that he wanted MORE than msrp that I never bought it.
We already get screwed enough on parts here in Canada. Good luck St pauls, its a new age in retail with the internet and some of these dealerships and parts stores should figure it out.
Exactly. We already get hosed. Why not grind us some more. I am just gonna go with S&S. **** on the MOCO. Might just buy another yamaha too. Resale may suck but I will ride it forever so that's a mute point. That raider sure is a nice bike. But it sure ain't my street bob. I am so torn. Dammit Harley

Old 11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cptdenny
Yes I would be ok because I already got my price and profit for the product I just sold to the dealer. Whatever the dealer sells it for is his business. If the dealership sold it for over MSRP would MoCo get a rebate from said dealership?

What's next, owners can't sell their used Harleys for less than MSRP.

Price fixing & collusion may be in play here. There's a new political climate out there today. If MoCo steps over the line there could be political pressure that fires MoCo leadership similar to GM.
but the dealers bear your own company's name. isn't that kind of shooting yourself in your foot? plus we would get hosed more than we do already for buying name brand stuff. all H-D would do is raise the price. also consider that only authorized h-d dealers are allowed to sell genuine motor parts. car dealers can jumble numbers on cars just like h-d dealers can and do.

Last edited by jo_mama; 11-12-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:14 AM
rlowride
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree.... If Harley moco chose to allow 3, 4, 5 dealers in one area.... All those dealers pay the moco the same for everything.... That's all moco should care about..
If A chooses 100% profit margin, and C chooses 25% and sells 10 times as much... That should be on dealer A! Instead of crying like a lil bi7(h!!!
Moco should really only allow 1 per area... That would help....

But in my reality.... Why do I need to waste gas on 3 or 4 trips to the dealer??
They don't have the parts either and have to order it anyway!!!
I might as well order it from home, pay for it at home... Get it at home!!!

Again, like I said in another post... I don't agree with it.. But I see why moco would want to do it..
IMHO, it will just open up after market sales and products 10 fold...
I think mother Harley is forgetting that they aren't the only ones who make good parts for my HD!!

Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

It didn't take long indeed! I'm glad to see some dealers fight for their right to conduct business the way they want. I bought several items from HD of St Paul and from other dealers on eBay. Their prices were great and their service was excellent.
They have my full support in this lawsuit.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:53 PM
10Seconds
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am glad as well. I hope MoCo get hammered in this one. I hope other dealers will join the suit as well.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:52 PM
RockerSE
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we should all such up for their email as a show of support!

http://www.stpaulhd.com/

Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

The outcome of this will depend on what restrictions the dealers have in their franchise agreement. If there are no distinct internet selling restrictions spelled out in writing in the franchise agreement...then Milwaukee sucks air. If they do have them then the dealers have agreed by signing.

However, since there is a restraint of trade suit then I doubt there are any written restrictions in the dealer franchise agreement. So, my guess is the dealer will win based on anti-trust regulations and price fixing.

If the MoCo wins then they are free to raise prices on bikes & parts as much as they wish.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:12 PM
desertrideryz
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RockerSE
I think we should all such up for their email as a show of support!

http://www.stpaulhd.com/
??? Sign up? Done!

Last edited by desertrideryz; 11-13-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:28 PM
chamokie
Supporter
Received 246 Likes on 109 Posts

Hope they win, everyone has the right to make a living.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:42 PM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful what you wish for...MOCo has a brand to protect. If MOCO allows their dealers to sell new products anywhere, it cheapens the brand. It also cheapens the investment that ALL dealers made to buy the franchise. It also cheapens your sled. HD still holds value better than the competition...and this is why. if they start selling new bikes for 30 percent off, like the metrics, you now have a personal problem called....My bike is worth nothing!!!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson sued over sales restrictions