General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Druid
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ear plus are used to keep the wind out of your ears, so that you can hear the pipes (and everything else) better. Without ear plugs and driving over 40mph, all you can hear is the wind.

Or... You can do what I normally do and wear a FF helmet

Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
bp_shooter123
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the wind. More so if its cold out. Cold air at highway speed is murder on my ears.
The plugs also prevent gnats and other bugs from finding a new home in your ear.

Michael

Old 01-06-2012, 07:16 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Quoted and stored away for the next "loud pipes save lives" discussion.

At the risk of slipping into that trap, have you never been someplace and heard a bike approaching you before you even saw it? The sound may be directed to the rear, but that doesn't mean it doesn't radiate out in all directions.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

I wouldnt think of riding without plugs. I can still hear just about everything and the wind doesnt bother me. A ringin head after a long ride is just no fun. Cool thing is when i wear my plugs, it make my pipes sound as if the base was turned on.

Old 01-06-2012, 09:17 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,354 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Originally Posted by Druid
The ear plus are used to keep the wind out of your ears, so that you can hear the pipes (and everything else) better. Without ear plugs and driving over 40mph, all you can hear is the wind.

Or... You can do what I normally do and wear a FF helmet
Originally Posted by bp_shooter123
+1 on the wind. More so if its cold out. Cold air at highway speed is murder on my ears.
The plugs also prevent gnats and other bugs from finding a new home in your ear.

Michael
yes, the plugs are for the wind. i gives a damn about the pipes, i have tinnitus and if i don't wear plugs my ears will be ringing super loud after a ride.

i was late for work one morning because a bug flew into my ear on my way to work. that is the most horrible feeling you can imagine. everytime that critter would move, it would be a super loud scraping noise in my ear, and my muscles would tense up on that side from my neck all the way down to my ***..... ended up going to the emergency room and to get it out they had to squirt lidocain(i think) in my ear to both deaden my nerves and to drown the bug. took a few tries, but it finally got squirted out from the pressure of the stuff being redirected back out......

after that, i religiously wore ear plugs every time i rode. now, i'm back to only wearing them if i'm gonna ride over 60 for a good distance....

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
Quoted and stored away for the next "loud pipes save lives"
discussion.
wouldn't be to quick on that , cause I most certainly can hear a bike coming up behind me when Im in a cage.

and twice I had bitches try to "merge" into me , both times the pipes cracking caused them to swerve back in their lane so they definanly can hear them when they are beside me.

Loud pipes do and have , saved lives

Old 01-06-2012, 10:00 PM
Druid
Tourer

Originally Posted by zukeeper
wouldn't be to quick on that , cause I most certainly can hear a bike coming up behind me when Im in a cage.

and twice I had bitches try to "merge" into me , both times the pipes cracking caused them to swerve back in their lane so they definanly can hear them when they are beside me.

Loud pipes do and have , saved lives
+1 Well said.

Old 01-07-2012, 08:29 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebike32
Given enough time and miles you'll figure it out for yourself or you could just listen to those that know and start protecting your ears before it's to late. Some riders (myself included) learn to late.
Yeah, what he said. Put your ear plugs in and chalk it up to taking advise. You can thank us later.

Mike

Old 01-07-2012, 08:58 AM
bikenut1957
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,052 Likes on 698 Posts

After many years of air starters, skeet shoots and duck hunts my ears ring all the time. I wear ear plugs on the long rides but, damn I love to hear those pipes when I spool her up!

Old 01-07-2012, 09:54 AM
mattkenzie
Road Master

I pop them in if I am going to be on the highway 60+ mph for extended amounts of time.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and ear plugs