General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:56 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by IAMSWUTIAMS
Yours has nothing to do with fire trucks? My Dad is retired LA City Fire, his hearing is really bad. My hearing loss is from rock n' roll in the 60's. And Skilsaws.
Yes, some of those truck operators can get siren happy!

Old 11-15-2011, 11:08 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by capitalist_slave
Whether it's wind or pipes... I'm good... i wear a FF
You like the idea of being hearing impared I see.

FF helmet's won't protect your hearing.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:29 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by FBFletch
First off, loud pipes are way over-rated. If you change your pipes to gain performance and they happen to be louder, that's a different story. But, if you're just changing your pipes to get them as loud as possible, I don't see the point. IMHO, all you're really doing is trying to draw attention to yourself by saying, "Hey look at me. I'm a bad *** 'cause I ride a loud motorcycle."

To the point of riding with ear plugs, I wear them religiously. About two years ago, I went to bed one night, woke up the next morning and was stone cold deaf in one ear. The doctors still don't know for sure what caused it. However, I HAVE to wear ear plugs to protect the hearing in my one good ear. For me, it's all about wind noise. I can still hear my exhaust. And, quite honestly, I can hear the tone of the exhaust better with the ear plugs because the wind noise is eliminated. It's just not as loud.
Have you had an MRI? If you suddenly went deaf in one ear - it could be a tumor in the inner ear (acustic neuroma I think it is called). My brother had that. Get it checked out! It's important to rule that out or get it fixed if that is the problem.

As far as ear plugs are concerned, my wife wears them at night because of my snooring. I should wear them when riding because the wind does bother my ears, but I do not. My loud pipes never bother my ears, but the wind does.

Last edited by rh8234; 11-15-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 662 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Whats the point of having loud pipes if you screw in ear plugs so you can't hear them?
Loud pipes save lives. Then again, I removed my loud pipes, went back to stock and I'm still alive. I'm so confused.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:58 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rh8234
Have you had an MRI? If you suddenly went deaf in one ear - it could be a tumor in the inner ear (acustic neuroma I think it is called). My brother had that. Get it checked out! It's important to rule that out or get it fixed if that is the problem.
Yeah. They did an MRI first thing. And you're absolutely right, a tumor is one of the things that can cause sudden hearing loss. It happened to a good friend of mine's mom.

Even though I never had any pain or discomfort, my ENT doctor believes I may have had an ear infection that caused inflammation in my ear and that the swelling cut off blood flow to my auditory nerve. But, that's really just a guess.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=2kids3pets;9030778]Whats the point of having loud pipes if you screw in ear plugs so you can't hear them?

The purpose of th ear plugs is to dampen the wind noise as it flows past your ears.

Old 11-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Sir*Bulldog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I've tried lots of ear plugs and prefer these. They really do the job. http://earplugsonline.com/

Thanks CB! I just orderd some, lookin fwd to tryin em out

Old 11-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 223 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kzoo
Because they keep the voices locked inside!!!
The faster I ride, the farther away the voices seem to get!

Old 01-06-2012, 03:59 PM
HelmetHead
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally I don't even like the way my Harley sounds, but I think everyone else does. So I wear ear muffs.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM
XKnight
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by silvrbill
Most people think it's the pipes that cause the ringing in your ears after a 500 mile day.
It's the wind noise, not the pipes.
It can be a combination of both, especially if the pipes are really loud. Either way, if you ride long distance with no hearing protection your ears will suffer eventually.

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and ear plugs