Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes and ear plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 09:37 AM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Old people....sheesh

Old 11-11-2011, 09:45 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have severe virally induced Tinnitus.

It is aggravated by the high pitch noises, like wind.
Mine is not severe, and it was brought on by just two day's use of the prescription drug Advaire, but riding without ear plugs for more than 20 minutes or so becomes agony for me. I can't imagine how much worse it must be for you.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:48 AM
TokyoEvilTwin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on wind noise - that does far more damage to your hearing than the pipes ever will.

I used to work in a sawmill, and the explanation given to us before issue of hearing protection was that loud high pitched noise - beyond what you register - is far more damaging to your hearing than anything you actually notice. The low to mid range noise of a set of pipes isn't going to do much damage.

If you want good hearing protection, either get fitted range-specific plugs or get yourself a set of Etymotics in-ear earphones. They do the job of the plugs, and you can play music through 'em. If you wanna be really fancy, you can get custom earplugs molded that accept any decent brand headphone you can think of.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Stash905
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Whats the point of having loud pipes if you screw in ear plugs so you can't hear them?

So you don't get tinnitus like I have. Funny that it is worse in the right ear than the left.
Ah, now I see I am not the only one with this annoying affliction.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:24 AM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 149 Likes on 83 Posts

I wear them for the wind noise as well. Above 50 mph or so the pipes get drowned out by the wind noise.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was younger nothing bothered my ears. I could run a jack hammer all day long and still hear good. Now, well it's a different story. When I first bought my bike (it came with V&H duals with no baffles) I noticed the ringing in my ears so bad that I could not hear the TV when I got home for at least 5 hours afterwards (my ears are pretty much gone).

So I thought it was the wind cause it made a terrible racket in my ears even with the helmet on. So I started wearing ear plugs and IF I got them in really tight they did help. But then I was just about totally deft until I took the ear plugs out.

Well one day I decided to order and install the V&H's quiet baffles. I put them in and noticed the bike was only just a tad quieter. Still kinda noisey but a different frequency, not quite as blap blap as before. I went out to test the bike without a helmet or ear plugs and to my amazement I found my ears were not as affected by high speeds with the quiet baffles.

Now granted wind vibrations do play a part in the ear ringing, that is true. But I noticed a dramatic decrease in my ringing and loss of hearing with the quieter pipes. All of my ringing comes from speeds of 55 mph up for substained times. And the quiet baffles have a different frequency and sets up a less harsh harmonic vibration when traveling at 70mph for extended periods.

I would have to agree with all the previous posts included Allen dye's. It's mostly the pipes and the wind at high speed. I think it all boils down to certain frequency vibration harmonics inside the little bones in the ear.

Old 11-11-2011, 12:52 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

What'd U say..

I wear them so I can't hear the wife yell when I get on it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
asahi1234
Tourer

I am part deaf since birth. Believe me you don't want to have hearing problems. Go and get some custom made hearing protection. You will not regret it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:04 PM
Snarly
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by silvrbill
They block the wind noise more than anything.
You can still hear your pipes.
Most people think it's the pipes that cause the ringing in your ears after a 500 mile day.
It's the wind noise, not the pipes.
Originally Posted by Grand-Dragon
Are your pipes pointed up into your face? No.
The wind is. As Silverbill said, the wind is the problem, not the silky sounds of the violent sounding pipes. The pipes are behind you and pointed at your pals following you.

They must not make pipes that sound super loud or I would own them.
Originally Posted by FlyinRyan93
What they said^^ It is the wind noise that bothers me on a long ride. I think the reason it bothers more than the pipes is because of the higher frequency of the wind noise.
Same ole' bs. Ear plugs dim noise, period.

Last edited by Snarly; 11-11-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Sir*Bulldog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you guys recommend a certain brand of ear plug?? My bike is loud as ****, but I dont wanna baffle it cuz im surrounded by old farts with big cars

Quick Reply: Loud pipes and ear plugs