Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima 120 or New Evo Bottom End???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 04:30 PM
nolabel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultima 120 or New Evo Bottom End???

Hi all, I am looking for feedback on a choice I have. My 1992 FXR recently had her bottom end go out. The shop tells me my choices are:
- Get a new engine. They suggest an Ultima 120. Quote: $5,500.
- Replace my bottom end with one from a 1995-99 Evo. Quote: $3,500-4,000.

Initial thoughts on the choice?
- The difference in cost does not concern me (though the $5,500 is my upper bound)
- Nor the power difference between the 80ci Evo 1340 and the 120ci Ultima, because my 80ci Evo has (Stage II?) performance work already (rebored pistons, reported heads, new cam, carb, rockers and pushrods, charging system and ignition etc etc). While (only?) 80-90 hp she had heaps of acceleration and passing abilities, I am happy with her.

I guess I want to know what is my best option for having a performance bike that is going to be reliable and kick on well as the future rolls on? I'm not sure, for instance, whether replacing the 1992 bottom end with a 1995-99 Evo bottom end will solve that one problem but still leave me with other potential problems due to the inescapable fact of a bike almost 20 years old in many respects (ie. my old transmission).. Similarly, a new engine seems to suggest age-problem would evaporate, but is a clone of an Evo still not an Evo when it boils down to whether she will still be running 10k from now and 50k from now (etc)?

PS: Obviously the shop is eating a whole lot of labour costs. Long story that I won't bore you with, but in essence a few misdiagnoses at my expense eventually saw the shop (they have done excellentwork on her before) conclude the bottom end is shot.

I spent hours reading threads on the Ultima. Some saying it blows up every 7k, some say it has been trouble free, some that the valves and lifter/rockers keep going but this may have changed with a new manufacturer. It's hard to sort out a true estimate of reliability, because it is not always clear if reported issues stemmed from non-careful factory assembly and if careful assembly by your own trusted shop will fix known issues.

Last edited by nolabel; 11-10-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:01 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,917 Likes on 5,780 Posts

I would find a new mechanic and get a second opinion...these are the same idiots that told you crankcase pressure was "blowing" off the snap ring...right? You can't replace a 92 bottom end with with a 95-99 bottom end...different breather system...heads won't work. You can still get new 99 EVO's for around 3k .

Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could always buy a brand new Evo Engine straight from Harley for about $3500-$4000 !

Old 11-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
I would find a new mechanic and get a second opinion...these are the same idiots that told you crankcase pressure was "blowing" off the snap ring...right? You can't replace a 92 bottom end with with a 95-99 bottom end...different breather system...heads won't work. You can still get new 99 EVO's for around 3k .
I believe head breathers started in 1992, so not sure why he wants 95-99. Like said a new one is $3k, a used one on ebay is $1000-1500. New Delkron case run $500-600, and used fly wheels around $500.

If aftermarket I would go with S&S (still made in USA). You may have problems with that power on your stock equipment, ie starter, trans. Look around good deals on engines out there. Hell, I've got a S&S 124" basket mostly new parts, I can't get $5k out of it. They run $10K new. Picked up a used 113" for under $3K last year.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Can you slap a 120R in that baby?

Old 11-10-2011, 05:47 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen the Ultima engines in action at the Easyriders Rodeo and those dudes beat the crap out of those engines....Wide open out of the hole and wide open until the sled stopped...None of those engines broke or scattered parts all over the spectators.

For street use and regular maintenance on an Ultima I do not know...I've not seen any Ultima engines on the street...

The deciding factor should be what you are willing to spend...A stock/modified H-D motor will do quite well if you take care of it!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:04 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Yes, same folk. What they say they eventually found was that the collar on the pinion shaft was pushing out (centrifugal force?), repeatedly pushing the snap ring off, and thus fouling everything up.

Does that sound right? Recall this is beyond my competence to determine myself.

Getting a second opinion makes sense.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
The deciding factor should be what you are willing to spend...A stock/modified H-D motor will do quite well if you take care of it!
Well I figure I have already modified my Evo 1340 quite a bit (noted above) and am quite content with its power etc. I don't have any desire to race, burn tires, lift the front wheel, or be the fastest on the road etc. Especially with my soon-to-be fatherhood!

I am mostly interested in what is the shortest, easiest route to reliability, while at least preserving the performance gains stemming from the upgrades I did do. I am Ok with 3-5k.

Unfortunately I just don't have the technical know-how or experience myself to truly know if replacing the bottom end or a new engine is the way to that reliability while preserving performance (hence a new stock motor is out).

Old 11-10-2011, 06:15 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

PS: just being clear it is the reliability while preserving performance that is my question, not the increase performance question that a move from 80 to 120 ci might normally imply.

Last edited by nolabel; 11-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2011, 06:22 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nolabel
Well I figure I have already modified my Evo 1340 quite a bit (noted above) and am quite content with its power etc. I don't have any desire to race, burn tires, lift the front wheel, or be the fastest on the road etc. Especially with my soon-to-be fatherhood!

I am mostly interested in what is the shortest, easiest route to reliability, while at least preserving the performance gains stemming from the upgrades I did do. I am Ok with 3-5k.

Unfortunately I just don't have the technical know-how or experience myself to truly know if replacing the bottom end or a new engine is the way to that reliability while preserving performance (hence a new stock 80ci motor is out).
Find someone who you can trust to do the work. Look around, ask around and definitely do your homework before making a decision...Also stay in your budget....Us workin' folks (and those with mouths to feed) have to live inside a budget!!!

Quick Reply: Ultima 120 or New Evo Bottom End???