Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultima 120 or New Evo Bottom End???

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 06:30 PM
nolabel
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do trust these guys, but reading the threads about the Ultima here and asking these questions just IS me doing my homework!

On on the $$$ aspect, totally agree, mouths to feed and I need to stick to my budget. So one way of phrasing my question is to ask whether a new engine will cap the cost or just invite more later (such as new transmission, and what seem like valve train issues in the Ultima)? And whether a new bottom end will also cap costs, presuming my performance engine kicks on fine as she is? Which is MORE likely to cap costs?

Old 11-10-2011, 06:36 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

New factory fresh evo from HD is how I would go if I was replacing my engine on a reliable daily rider.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:49 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nolabel
I do trust these guys, but reading the threads about the Ultima here and asking these questions just IS me doing my homework!

On on the $$$ aspect, totally agree, mouths to feed and I need to stick to my budget. So one way of phrasing my question is to ask whether a new engine will cap the cost or just invite more later (such as new transmission, and what seem like valve train issues in the Ultima)? And whether a new bottom end will also cap costs, presuming my performance engine kicks on fine as she is? Which is MORE likely to cap costs?
I'd go with a rebuild...

Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

Originally Posted by SportsterBob
I'd go with a rebuild...
You mean rebuild the bottom end, then? The shop mechanic seems to think my stock bottom end is not handling the new performance put out by my Stage II top end. So rebuild to orig spec, or is there a bottom end from a later year Evo (my FXR is a 1992) that can be swapped in and fit? An earlier reply suggested the 1995-99 Evo bottom end would not work.

By then way, I apologize for not being the most mechanically gifted forum member! Unfortunately my Harley passion is not matched by serious mechanical know-how (my talents reside elsewhere, like educating your kids at Uni).

Old 11-10-2011, 07:44 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

You mean rebuild the bottom end, then? The shop mechanic seems to think my stock bottom end is not handling the new performance put out by my Stage II top end. So rebuild to orig spec, or is there a bottom end from a later year Evo (my FXR is a 1992) that can be swapped in and fit? An earlier reply suggested the 1995-99 Evo bottom end would not work.

By then way, I apologize for not being the most mechanically gifted forum member! Unfortunately my Harley passion is not matched by serious mechanical know-how (my talents reside elsewhere, like educating your kids at Uni).
No need to apologize and I have no kids to educate. Your engine is the topic of discussion!!

When a bottom end wears out it's usually the crank-pin, the lower connecting rod races, the rod rollers and sometimes the roller cages...The only part of the flywheels that wear out are the tapers where the crank-pin fits or where the shafts fit and both are rare to wear out unless the flywheels are 50+ years old...

BTW, how many miles are on your 1992 FXR?

Old 11-10-2011, 08:18 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

There are about 45,000 km's on the bike. The bike had 25k on it when I bought it off a guy who had mostly sat it in his garage since 1992. I had the Harley dealership do the performance work (would take back choice of place to do the work if I could!), and have subsequently put on about 7k per riding season over 3 seasons.

The main thing done to the bike after the stealership did the performance work is that they had not upgraded my charging system. The shop that has the bike now fixed that problem and the bike had been running beautifully until the recent bottom end woes (which at first they thought was a blown oil pump).

The shop is saying the bottom end is not salvageable, and I believe they mean they think replacement rather than rebuild is the way to go. IF - big if - that is possible and I could ride on with my existing engine, that would be my preference. I don't require more performance. I believe they think replacement with a later model bottom end is needed, lest my performance top-end just munch through bottom ends the same as the 1992 one in there.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:31 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Ultima's tend to have lifter problems. I have personally seen the pins on their roller lifters actually walking out on one of their motors.

The BEST way to go, is re-use your stock cases and fill the guts with S&S stuff.

If cases are toast, get a replacement engine for Harley.

Forget the aftermarket in this instance. Go factory or S&S.

Unless you have money, then talk to TP Performance about an engine.

~Joe

Old 11-10-2011, 08:35 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

There are about 45,000 km's on the bike. The bike had 25k on it when I bought it off a guy who had mostly sat it in his garage since 1992. I had the Harley dealership do the performance work (would take back choice of place to do the work if I could!), and have subsequently put on about 7k per riding season over 3 seasons.

The main thing done to the bike after the stealership did the performance work is that they had not upgraded my charging system. The shop that has the bike now fixed that problem and the bike had been running beautifully until the recent bottom end woes (which at first they thought was a blown oil pump).

The shop is saying the bottom end is not salvageable, and I believe they mean they think replacement rather than rebuild is the way to go. IF - big if - that is possible and I could ride on with my existing engine, that would be my preference. I don't require more performance. I believe they think replacement with a later model bottom end is needed, lest my performance top-end just munch through bottom ends the same as the 1992 one in there.
Hmmm, your bottom end should not need a rebuild at 45k KM's unless you are out there hot-rodding and running the motor up past 6,000-rpm regularly...Just my opinion!! Does your engine make any audible rattling sounds at idle/low RPM?

Old 11-10-2011, 09:03 PM
nolabel
Cruiser

No audible rattling sounds at low rpm/idle.

I believe the new ignition (a Dyna 2000I) allows rpm to exceed the original 5200 rpm rev limiter, up to 6200 I think (but it could be set a little lower). I'm not sure what the definition of hot-ridding would be, but I definitely do not do some of the things I see mentioned in the forums! No racing, burning tires, etc. My bike has no rpm gauge, but I don't take it to the max rpm per gear every gear or anything and I don't go too far over speed limits either. Sure I open the throttle and let her fly, but not ridiculous screaming or anything!

What else, aside from abuse, could have killed my bottom end?

Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

+1 on rebuilding bottom end. Ultima may not be around later.

Quick Reply: Ultima 120 or New Evo Bottom End???