General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 03:48 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance

So the local dealerships in my area are charging $400 for the 10k service on touring bikes. I tried called a few local indy shops and after being on hold for some time they come back on and quote the same as the dealership! I guess they called the dealership to find out what to charge.
Not knocking the indy shops, but if your a new shop barely opened a year or so how can you charge same as dealership? I would think they would charge a bit less to get that extra business away from the dealers.
Not knocking indy shops, I know alot have worked in dealerships for years and are trying to make a living doing their own thing, but wheres the incentive to give you my business?
Am I missing something here or what?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:56 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bummer in FL

I just scheduled my 25k service at my local indy service provider. He's gonna charge me $200 + fluid costs.

Top notch, trained in Hawaii, and way better than the "local" dealer.

Good luck.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:02 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

Good deal. Thats what I was hoping for. A better price for quality work. Indy shop gave me no incentive to give them my business. Its not like they have been around for years and have earned a stellar reputation wrenching bikes yet.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:03 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Wow, $400 for a glorified oil change. I was robbed, I mean charged $325 a while back for that service from our local dealer. The second item on the list was to check the air filter. A week or so later, I pulled the cover off to do some polishing and found it to be as black as it could have been. I guess when they say an item has to be "checked", they mean check to see if it's still there. The service is alot of checks or adjustments. But I seriously doub't they look very hard for problems, if they aren't staring them in the face. Get the book and do the service yourself, and keep the rest that you'll save for more gas and beer.,,

Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am going to have my local indy to my 20K service just because I don't want to deal with changing fork oil. They take only one apointment a day for that service and charge $450. Dealer charges $850. Other than that one service, the rest I do myself. Not that hard.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:57 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Get the book....DIY.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:29 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior

I ordered the book...week to ten days to come in. I ll read the book and be ready to do my regular service myself. The indy shop could have had my business if they were more reasonable. To charge what the dealership does says they are just as much a crook as the dealership. Just sayin...

Old 11-09-2011, 08:05 PM
OU812
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shutterbug
So the local dealerships in my area are charging $400 for the 10k service on touring bikes. I tried called a few local indy shops and after being on hold for some time they come back on and quote the same as the dealership! I guess they called the dealership to find out what to charge.
Not knocking the indy shops, but if your a new shop barely opened a year or so how can you charge same as dealership? I would think they would charge a bit less to get that extra business away from the dealers.
Not knocking indy shops, I know alot have worked in dealerships for years and are trying to make a living doing their own thing, but wheres the incentive to give you my business?
Am I missing something here or what?
I can do a complete service 5times for 400dollars, and I know its done right

Old 11-09-2011, 08:23 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 75 miles from my closest dealer.

But both dealers I've visited have posted $292 for the 1000 mile service.

My local mechanic, formally trained and a retired Delta airline mechanic, charged me $106.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I will never understand how anyone would pay that much for essentially an oil change with filter. Sure check the items on the critical fastener list, lube some cables/hinges and general check it out. Worth only $90 to $100 for some one else to do it. I have always done mine and my out of pocket is under $50.

I have 7 HD's, if I took them to the dealer I could only have 5.

Quick Reply: Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance