General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:41 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most dealers charge "book" time, the Indy usually charges actual time. Even at the same hourly rate you'll save money.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

IAMSWATIAMS -

Generally accepted business practice is to set prices based on overhead and an expected profit margin.

Charging what one thinks the market will bear is called gouging. I would strongly suspect that across this country it would be rare independent that could successfully stay in business charging the rate of the franchised dealer. Most consumers would not go for that.

The HD rate in my area is $55/hr and that is not low enough to even consider having my bikes serviced there.

I do all the work on my 7 HD's, 3 Corvettes, truck and 2 cars. I built a service shop on the back of the existing garage and have more than paid for the building and tools in the 6 years that I have had it.

I will do only warranty work and recalls at a dealer. I have even done some fixes myself that were recalls but I found it more convenient to do myself.

Here is were it takes place.

Last edited by lh4x4; 11-13-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
nferr
Road Master
Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

The Indy shop around here is $50 per hour. The dealer is up to $95!

Old 11-13-2011, 08:09 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have a small dealership here that gits 65.00 a hour. I used to go there.
They got a new service mgr. I hear too much from him about if you do this or if you do that it will void yer warranty,
Don't say nothin about voiding my warranty when I bought extended warranty's on both bikes I'm still makin payments on to me.
I explained the Mag Moss ACt.
He said he knew it. But they wouldn't work on yer bike and would turn it in to Harley.
I've bought two bikes from their chain.
Don't want to do any business with that chain. And I've told other folks there, I want it know I don't like the service mgr and how he acts. And If I can git enough folks to go somewhere else during the winter and they don't do the business, mabe he will leave.
A year ago it was so slow there, they lost a MMI graduate and a HD performance tech cause there wasn't enough work for him to make money.
If there is no work the mechanics don't make enough money to pay their bills.
I think the dealership should be better to them than that.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:10 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
IAMSWATIAMS -

Generally accepted business practice is to set prices based on overhead and an expected profit margin.

Charging what one thinks the market will bear is called gouging. I would strongly suspect that across this country it would be rare independent that could successfully stay in business charging the rate of the franchised dealer. Most consumers would not go for that.
No, it's called Capitalism. The market will set the price. Charge too much, you get no work. Charge too little, you go out of business.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most if not all shops (Indy & dealer) use the same rate book. Cars, trucks, buses, bikes. It's isn't the good days when a lot of us were growing up and the indy would charge you based on what they could do it for and still make a profit.

Doesn't matter if you like it or not, whether you think it's right or wrong. Unless you are going to do it yourself, one way or another you're gonna pay the piper. However there will come a time unless you are a true mechanic with the proper training you will eventually use one or the other.

Some here can, some here can't. Best bet as always shop around get the best deal you can find and stick with it.

Just a question in general, is it really necessary to list how many bikes, cars, trucks, trains and planes you own in a response to bolster your credibility. Honestly who cares.

Old 11-14-2011, 12:29 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Said it the other day. Some areas seem like the dealers really stick it to Ya..

I had our dealer do the 1, 5, 10, and 15k on my bike, the most was $264 on the 1k and 5k, then on the 10k and 15k I changed my oils before taking it in and the charge was $180.