General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 07:26 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Changin yer fluids, greasing the front fork grease fittin and checkin the bike out is Pretty Hard.
Man Please !
Ain't takin the bike to the dealer for that.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:49 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cardboard
Changin yer fluids, greasing the front fork grease fittin and checkin the bike out is Pretty Hard.
Man Please !
Ain't takin the bike to the dealer for that.
The front fork has a grease fitting? Oh no!

Old 11-10-2011, 08:01 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I get the oil & filter in my truck changed for $40. If I go synthetic, its $75. Basically the same service as your bike. So why such a disparity in price? Because they can, and people will pay. I do my own service on the bike.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:24 AM
66cruiser
Road Warrior

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

The service check list that some dealers have (and charge for) is a lot longer than the one in the service manual. Most people will find that they can do most if not all of the service manual checks themselves & then take the remaining one or two items to a good indy or even the dealer & save a hell of a lot of cash. That is the only way you can be sure that all the work is actually done & done right.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:44 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 66cruiser
The service check list that some dealers have (and charge for) is a lot longer than the one in the service manual. Most people will find that they can do most if not all of the service manual checks themselves & then take the remaining one or two items to a good indy or even the dealer & save a hell of a lot of cash. That is the only way you can be sure that all the work is actually done & done right.

I would like to see this list and compare.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:04 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Maclugie
The front fork has a grease fitting? Oh no!
If yer paying that much attention you can change yer oil fuids and grease the neck fittin.
And check the air in yer tires and all.

The dealer don't do anymore than you want to pay for either.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:09 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Shutterbug
I ordered the book...week to ten days to come in. I ll read the book and be ready to do my regular service myself. The indy shop could have had my business if they were more reasonable. To charge what the dealership does says they are just as much a crook as the dealership. Just sayin...
Maybe they called each other for a quote? Just sayin.....

Old 11-10-2011, 12:14 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robotech
I am going to have my local indy to my 20K service just because I don't want to deal with changing fork oil. They take only one apointment a day for that service and charge $450. Dealer charges $850. Other than that one service, the rest I do myself. Not that hard.
You do know that if you put a Dyna on a jack and remove the front caliper, loosen the pinch bolts you can slide both fork tubes out of the trees and then take the caps off and invert dumping the oil out. Then put the whole assembly back into the trees, tighten, refill with oil, pump out air, put caps back on and put caliper back on with new brake pads and you are done. 2 hour job tops. Just make sure you have the fork fully extended before you remove the caps.....

Old 11-10-2011, 12:43 PM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I will never understand how anyone would pay that much for essentially an oil change with filter. Sure check the items on the critical fastener list, lube some cables/hinges and general check it out. Worth only $90 to $100 for some one else to do it. I have always done mine and my out of pocket is under $50.

I have 7 HD's, if I took them to the dealer I could only have 5.
The new breed?? Even with cars, no one wants to work on thier stuff. Just be sure to call them rubs....not a Rube, since that's me!!!

Was driving to work and saw a bagger on the shoulder, guy and his SO with new leather n helmets, looking frustrated. I pull over, get my crutches and hobble over. Bike just quit. I asked if he checked fuel pump fuse. Didn't know where it was. Offered to check it for him but when I said he had to pull the right saddlebag he about stroked out. Said he would wait for the tow truck.......geeez!!

Old 11-10-2011, 03:00 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You do know that if you put a Dyna on a jack and remove the front caliper, loosen the pinch bolts you can slide both fork tubes out of the trees and then take the caps off and invert dumping the oil out. Then put the whole assembly back into the trees, tighten, refill with oil, pump out air, put caps back on and put caliper back on with new brake pads and you are done. 2 hour job tops. Just make sure you have the fork fully extended before you remove the caps.....
Didn't say I didn't know HOW to do it, just didn't WANT to do it. I don't exactly have the most spacious garage for working on my bike at the moment...read to say I don't have the room at all to do anything other than the basics...

And my Sportster's forks were easier...just take out a screw, pump the forks to get the old oil out, then take off the caps and fill. Piece of cake compared to the Dyna.

Quick Reply: Indy charges same as dealership for 10k maintenance