General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

810 miles this weekend!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 01:04 AM
shewolf
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 810 miles this weekend!

I did it !!!!! I traveled across the mountains and canyons of Idaho to Salmon for the weekend. Did 400 miles on Friday. It was about 105 degrees and I loved it! Wondered what kind of crazy I was a few times, but found I could do this by myself! Well not exactly by myself as I felt Gary riding with me. 410 miles back a different route yesterday. Met great people on the road. The Deluxe handled like a dream and I didn't get too much TB until about 130 miles at a time in traveling.

Stopped several times to take pictures, visited an Art Festival in Stanley for a couple of hours on Sunday. I will try to figure out how to get some pictures on here this week.

About 60 miles from home last evening, something fell off the side of my full face Shoei and the visor started flapping. I rode farther and stopped at a convenience store. There were a couple of bikes that I had followed out of McCall that left me in the corners.... One guy came over to talk and I asked if he had a screwdriver with him to finish taking off the visor. He said he thought I was one of the women riding with them at first but guessed they were behind me. He asked about riding alone and I said I usually rode with my husband. He said, cool but where is he? Rather than go into the whole story, I just said that I had lost him to a bike accident last year in Arizona. He looked at me and said, "Wait a minute, you aren't Gary's wife are you???? I could have been knocked over with a feather!

Turns out these guys had met Gary on a ride in Hells Canyon several years ago and had kept in touch by email. He told me all about them and how we were going to ride together one summer when everyone had the time off. I had even emailed back and forth with them but had not met them. One couple came to the memorial service on a their Harley from Idaho. There were over 400 people there, and the day is kind of a blur to me, so I missed them or don't remember.

I spent a wonderful hour talking to these two guys and their ladies. What a terrific act of fate. Despite being on the road for 14 hours, I cam home with a big smile on my face!
Gonna need the 2500 mile checkup here before too long!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:27 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Default RE: 810 miles this weekend!

Way to go girl on the ride. Sometimes solitude is a great companion. It is a small world, meeting people that knew your hubby and you and you finally got to meet them. Enjoy the ride

Old 07-19-2005, 01:44 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

WoW,

What a ride. Really cool running into friends you didn't even know you had. Like they said back in the 60's-"You meet the nicest people on a Harley".

Terry

Old 07-19-2005, 01:46 AM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow! That's a really great story!

Old 07-19-2005, 02:01 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Great ride experience and it really is a small world.

Old 07-19-2005, 02:20 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,856 Likes on 807 Posts

Awesome story!!! Awesome ride!!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 07-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Anniesage
Road Master

thanks for sharing your experiences with us- riding and other. It truly IS a small world.....

By the by - if you are ever heading this way - Seattle, WA - you always have a place to stay at my home....

Old 07-19-2005, 04:22 AM
shewolf
Cruiser

Annie, thanks so much for the offer. Got to say though that highway riding isn't real pleasing to me... Not thrilled with 80 mph and jerks in cars. Come down here and ride the canyons anytime.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:34 AM
rgerber
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome back Katie! What a putt!

Old 07-19-2005, 01:05 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts

Katie,

You're quite a person. Everytime I read one of your posts I get goosebumps or weepy...er...I mean, I'm touched...

What a great story, glad it worked out for you. I love the biking community. It never ceases to amaze me.

Mac

Quick Reply: 810 miles this weekend!