General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding a bike already stored

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:04 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh

I agree completely. I can deal with rain & I can deal with cold. I will not deal with salt spray. All these folks saying wash off the salt have obviously not lived in Michigan (or Indiana) in February. If you wash your bike in February, you suffer hypothermia, your yard becomes a skating rink, and your bike becomes an ice cube.

Mine goes away by the first time they salt the roads and it stays away until there are two good rain storms after the last snow.
This is funny to me . Why, because I ride with these guys. I finally found guys that weren't afraid to, and dont make excuses why they don't ride just because it's cold out. Our season starts at the end of October, and I have not seen or heard of anyone having salt related damage. Been doing it for 6 years and I rack up more miles riding in the winter then the summer. http://www.polarbeargrandtour.com/

Old 11-11-2011, 05:36 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

WTF is a stored bike? My bike is never stored. I play to ride it at any any opportunity i'm given even during winter months.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:15 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would it be a problem? Don't you always store your bike when you are done riding? Why not get some heated gear and ride year round.

Old 11-18-2014, 11:49 AM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Old Wives Tales:
* Drain the fuel tank before storage.
* Fresh oil change before storage.
* No fuel stabilizer.

Facts:
* Fill the tank to the top. An empty tank leaves room for condensation to build up running the risk of rusting the tank from the inside out.
* Oil gets dirty from riding, not from being stored. If you're ok with the quality of the oil the day before you store the bike it won't be any worst when yo take it out of storage.
* All gas goes bad over time. Ethanol speeds up the process. Always use a fuel stabilizer with a moisture inhibitor. If there is ethanol in the gas then you should be using a stabilizer at every tank fill-up anyways.

I change my oil at the beginning of every riding season and never change it before storage. I take my bike out a few times during the winter, weather permitting, without any issues. I just unplug it from the battery tender, start and let it warm up a few minutes, and then head out. When I return I top off the fuel tank, add the right amount of stabilizer, and plug back in the battery tender. If the roads were salty i'll clean it, but if not I just give it a good cleaning in the spring.

The only time I consider a bike stored is if it's off site or if it's not insured.