General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Tire Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:00 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Proper Tire Balancing

I purchased 2 new tires for my bike last weekend. While cleaning it up today, getting ready for a weekend trip I noticed the rear wheel has about 3/4 oz weight say at 12 o clock position and another aprox. 1/4 oz weight at the 5 o clock position. I am not very familiar with motorcycle tire balancing, but I do know that if you see that on an automobile tire that has been high speed balanced, it is a sure sign of a shortcut being taken at best. Worse being someone that didn't know any better doing the work. I know on car tires there should not be weights in two different locations on the same side of the rim. Does anybody know for sure if this holds true on motorcycle tires, being that the stick on weights are in the center of the wheel?

Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Get dyna beads and take the wheel weights off and quit worrying about it.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 19,064 Likes on 5,584 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
it is a sure sign of a shortcut being taken at best. Worse being someone that didn't know any better doing the work.
Two weights almost 180 degrees from each other it either laziness or stupidity...I would that it back for a do over...lol

Old 11-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

I have seen that done many times. They spin up the wheel to find where to add weight, add weight, spin it up again to add a little more weight a ways from the first weight for final balance. I just put the tire dot by the valve stem. Works for me.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:40 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

+ one the dyna beads. Screw wheel weights on our bikes! Never have to worry about them falling off or in your case someone that doesn't know what they are doing. And you don't have to see them.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:06 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Two weights almost 180 degrees from each other it either laziness or stupidity...I would that it back for a do over...lol

egggzactly...

if the weights truly are 180 degrees apart or dam near close, you can fix it your self. remove the single 1/4 oz weight, then remove a 1/4 oz section from the 3/4 area...

Old 11-07-2011, 06:56 PM
WildBill_50
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

+ for the Dyna Beads. Fast and easy way to balance your tires, especially if you change out your own tires.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,443 Likes on 17,677 Posts

I've found a lot of places the machines themselves are out of calibration and the people using them don't have a clue . My latest wheel's a set of factory Thunder star mags I had done 3 times and they couldn't get them right so screw it back to old school and the stand & precision bearing wheels .

Haven't tried the Dyna beads but that idea has been around forever , someday maybe when the prices get real .

Old 11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
JaronB
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I've found a lot of places the machines themselves are out of calibration and the people using them don't have a clue . My latest wheel's a set of factory Thunder star mags I had done 3 times and they couldn't get them right so screw it back to old school and the stand & precision bearing wheels .

Haven't tried the Dyna beads but that idea has been around forever , someday maybe when the prices get real .
Price isn't bad. Seven bucks for both front and rear and installed by my Indy. For mags make sure the lube for tire installation is dry.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 PM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

do these dyna beads work with tubes ?

Quick Reply: Proper Tire Balancing