General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Tire Balancing

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 09:24 AM
CHOPPIN' CHARLIE
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dyna Beads work for me and a couple of friends use them. Tire must be off the floor for installation and follow instructions. They are reusable for next tire purchases.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,728 Likes on 3,953 Posts

Originally Posted by longrideshields-1
When I wrenched on cars years ago, I was always taught the dot on the tire is for lining up with the valve stem. But you still need to balance the tire. It doesn't make it automatically balanced just from doing this, it makes it closer by making up the difference from the weight of the valve stem. I always cringe when I see tires with the dot not lined up with the stem, and it seems to be most of them. It's there for a reason and no one does it.
The paint dot was put on by requirements of new car makers. They required it to the wheel makers and the tire companies. It saves then a few cents in wheel weights and lead is a bad thing. Note that a lot of weights are steel now. You also can not really go by the mark to help out however unless you have a new marked wheel and tire and know what's what. Depending on maker it can be exact opposite. Go to the different tire maker web sites and you will see. Some are light and some are heavy.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:17 AM
Twigg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 Dyna Beads. As far as the dot lining up, I often rotate the tire to get balanced without weights. Takes extra time but no weights. The Dyna Beads are nice because there constantly adjusting so as the tire wears they will rebalance. There is a noticable difference in the feel expecially in the front wheel.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

OK guys; I just googled Dyna Beads, and that looks like a good thing. Guess I will have to try them to see what I have been missing. Thanks for the heads up on this.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:46 AM
TexasHarleyBoy
Intermediate

Any of y'all tried a fluid balancer call 'Ride On'? Right off the bat, it is NOT the same stuff as 'Slime'. It dynamically balances the wheel/tire assembly and self seal small punctures in the tire, for the life of the tire. I talked to one of the mechanics at an independent shop and he loves it in his crotch rocket. I'm thinking about giving it a shot.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,443 Likes on 17,677 Posts

Originally Posted by twayneray
Any of y'all tried a fluid balancer call 'Ride On'? Right off the bat, it is NOT the same stuff as 'Slime'. It dynamically balances the wheel/tire assembly and self seal small punctures in the tire, for the life of the tire. I talked to one of the mechanics at an independent shop and he loves it in his crotch rocket. I'm thinking about giving it a shot.
Hope it's different Slime will deteriorate and soften tubes and the tires them selves , seen eat the rubber valve stem out and that guy had on hell of a mess to clean up . His shorts and the bike .

Old 11-13-2011, 03:07 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,443 Likes on 17,677 Posts

Originally Posted by twayneray
Hope it's different Slime will deteriorate and soften tubes and the tires them selves , seen it eat the rubber valve stem out and that guy had one hell of a mess to clean up . His shorts and the bike .

Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tire Weights

When I had my current rear tire put on the rim, I talked to the owner/indy of the shop and he said he could put the weights on the inside of the rim on the hub. I told him to go for it. Anyway, about a month later I was rolling the bike out of the garage for a wash and heard this tinkling sound as I rolled the bike. I figured out pretty quickly what it was. Took the tire off the bike and back to the indy. When they broke the bead and got access to the inside of the tire, there were many little lead fragments running around inside.
After remounting the tire, I can't tell any difference between the weights and without.
Go figure.......

Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Twigg
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dyna rider
When I had my current rear tire put on the rim, I talked to the owner/indy of the shop and he said he could put the weights on the inside of the rim on the hub. I told him to go for it. Anyway, about a month later I was rolling the bike out of the garage for a wash and heard this tinkling sound as I rolled the bike. I figured out pretty quickly what it was. Took the tire off the bike and back to the indy. When they broke the bead and got access to the inside of the tire, there were many little lead fragments running around inside.
After remounting the tire, I can't tell any difference between the weights and without.
Go figure.......
Not sure about weights on hub. I'll stick weights on the inside of the rim to hide them. I run a strip of duct tape around the rim to help retain the stickon weights then remount tire. DynaBeads are a lot easier...lol