Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender/ Power Outage Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 12:52 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
Wow, you are lucky. I had a lightning strike on the next block take out my APC 1400XL and my internet modem and my 10/100 switch once late at night. Luckily, I had my servers plugged into an APC Pro 1000 which was plugged into the 1400XL and stopped the surge (which it recorded over 400v . That surge took out the furnace and a/c controls and all of the computers in the accounting office next door plus blew the night lights on the building and melted a lot of wiring. My office smelled like a burning tire for about 3 days.

Since then, I have everything I own plugged into a surge protector.
An acquaintance of mine , an licensed electrician, got a small job hooking up an injection mold machine at Oakley about 25+ years ago. He never checked any voltage on the circuit and assumed he was hooking up 220 and was actually hooking up 277 3 ph, well he ended up back feeding the excess voltage(or half of 277, I'm not an electrician) into the neutrals that fed the front end of the shop, the offices, well when he got done, he thru the switch to energize the circuit and the people came running out of the offices saying "what is going on my phone doesn't work, my adding machine is smoking" so on and so forth, I thought it was funny, my "electrician" acquaintance did not, he lost more money than he made.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:54 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
An acquaintance of mine , an licensed electrician, got a small job hooking up an injection mold machine at Oakley about 25+ years ago. He never checked any voltage on the circuit and assumed he was hooking up 220 and was actually hooking up 277 3 ph, well he ended up back feeding the excess voltage into the neutrals that fed the front end of the shop, the offices, well when he got done, he thru the switch to energize the circuit and the people came running out of the offices saying "what is going on my phone doesn't work, my adding machine is smoking" so on and so forth, I thought it was funny, my "electrician" acquaintance did not, he lost more money than he made.
LOL...better send him down to the Laborers local.
My adding machine is smoking......ooops

Old 11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Talking "ole 3 phase"

LOL...better send him down to the Laborers local.
My adding machine is smoking......ooops
Oakley never used him again....strange, lol. Funny thing he has a fairly thriving residential electrical business, not much 3 phase in homes. My pops laughed his butt off when he heard what happened and nick named him "ole 3 Phase" from that day on.

Old 11-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

No, BUT...the resulting power surge when the power comes back on can fry your ecm.because the tenders are not rated to prevent it...so better have the tender plugged into a anti-surge device.

There...that should keep you up until 3 am.
Hadn't thought about that one....now I'm off to buy a surge protector..

Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie eggs
I agree, it's actually illegal in NJ to direct feed like that as you can kill someone!

The only safe and legal way to backfeed is by using a UL listed interlock kit. The person that sets up the generator feed may know not to close the main while the gen is running but others may not. You can set yourself up for involuntary manslaughter if you kill a line man. Plus, you can also fry the gen head as it briefly tries to power the neighborhood.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:29 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 79 Likes on 39 Posts

If you don't have a transfer switch you can go to jail around here for doing that. Very dangerous.
You are going to have to explain to me why it is so very dangerous if you have the MAIN switched OFF.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:03 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok, here's what you should do. Turn off your main breaker at the panel, then one night go with a long extension cord and plug it into your neighbors outdoor outlet, bury it in the snow so he doesn't see it. Plug the other end into one of your outlets. You're now running off his power. Just do it at night when your lights are off. Your furnace motor won't blow the breaker, you'll save tons of money on power.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
Ok, here's what you should do. Turn off your main breaker at the panel, then one night go with a long extension cord and plug it into your neighbors outdoor outlet, bury it in the snow so he doesn't see it. Plug the other end into one of your outlets. You're now running off his power. Just do it at night when your lights are off. Your furnace motor won't blow the breaker, you'll save tons of money on power.
Dude!!! You caught me , shhhhhhhhhhhh! Funny stuff!

Old 11-08-2011, 05:48 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by zeus33
No snow here.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 PM
Night Crawler
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by BassCatcher
You are going to have to explain to me why it is so very dangerous if you have the MAIN switched OFF.
Because it's not "fool proof".

With either a manual or an automatic electrical transfer switch it is impossible for the emergency standby generator system to feed electricity to the power grid. You may know that you'd never close the main switch while the generator is in operation but the possibility that someone else closing the main breaker errantly does exist.

Hence, the National Electric Code says a lineman's life should never be risked due to back feeding electrical currents from standby generators powering homes and businesses and transfer switches must be used.

Requiring transfer switches for standby power systems is kinda' like addressing and heading off Murphy's Law at the pass.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender/ Power Outage Question