Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender/ Power Outage Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
The tenders have diodes in them to keep them from reverse current.
Thanks - a reasonable answer that allows me to now concentrate on yet another piece of useless drivel !!!

Sammi

Old 11-07-2011, 04:58 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sammi
Hey funny guy, I was thinking of the short amount of time it would take to drain the battery!!!

Sammi
Oh. I see.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:06 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
No, BUT...the resulting power surge when the power comes back on can fry your ecm.because the tenders are not rated to prevent it...so better have the tender plugged into a anti-surge device.

There...that should keep you up until 3 am.
I know you where just tormenting the op but what you stated can't happen as I have plugged(an employee but I shoulda checked it) a 12 power supply/converter into 220 by accident and all it does is blow up the converter. I was using a 12 volt laser and the ps(120vac input/12vdc output) got plugged into 220 in the spider box and it continued to work for a while then the laser went dark and stopped spinning. The ps was ruined but the laser was fine. The converter still only lets out 12v and the excess voltage is converted into heat and then it goes boom. It took about 30 minutes.

Last edited by qtrracer; 11-07-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Of course it can. And it will probably backfeed from your house to your neighbors and feed that little buzzy thing she has plugged in. NOW....your a hero.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

We've had numerous power failures in the time that I've had my BT. Just two days ago we had 3 power failures in 4 hours. The BT had no problems with it, and the battery wasn't drained.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:56 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,587 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
No, BUT...the resulting power surge when the power comes back on can fry your ecm.because the tenders are not rated to prevent it...so better have the tender plugged into a anti-surge device.

There...that should keep you up until 3 am.
No;I don't think so. The surge is no different than the moment when you plug the tender in. Even if you DID overload the tender with a surge, all you would do is fry the tender.

Power here is always blinking out. never a problem,except it sometimes screws up my computer temporarily.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:57 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

My neighbor has a generator that is hard-wired to his home's electrical panel. As he describes it the generator "backward feeds" the power to the panel and then to the open circuits.

My question: if a battery tender is plugged into the bike and an outlet, in the situation of a power outage does the bike's battery "backward feed" into the home's power system and drain the battery?

Seems like both scenarios are the same.

(Minutia like that gets me to over-think stuff)

Thanks.

Sammi
Not to worry the two are isolated by the transformer if nothing else.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:48 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When the power came back on couple weeks go, it fried the controls on the water softener. We've had a few outages, but that's the first time I lost anything from a surge.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:42 AM
MrMojo
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My neighbor has a generator that is hard-wired to his home's electrical panel. As he describes it the generator "backward feeds" the power to the panel and then to the open circuits.Sammi
Your friend should get a transfer switch installed. It does two things, 1) prevents power from the grid from flowing to the generator when the power is restored, and more importantly 2) prevents power from the generator back feeding the grid and shocking some poor utility worker who is out in the middle of the storm risking his life trying to get your power back on...

Old 11-08-2011, 08:17 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU2007Ken
Agreed. In that situation a surge-suppressor IS a great idea.
My Dad lives WAY out in the countryside in SD. His house is frequently without power in the winter due to storms. He also has a generator installed. Nothing will feed back into the power grid. When the generator kicks in it throws a switch that stops all the power to or from the grid. He has had to put surge suppressors on almost all the outlets though because of the issues when the power changes over to the generator.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender/ Power Outage Question