General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol in gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
CLYDE60
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Love these threads, I've heard all the stories where ethanol has melted rubber lines, ruined engines, carberators, subsidized, ect. BULL, Around here it's about all you can buy I run it in my bikes because the alturnative around here is to use 87 regular which is more expensive and does run like crap. I have a 100 gal tank in my open, non heated shed I use to fill my 68' fork truck, newer lawn mowers and 54' H international tractor with a belly mower, that DOES have true rubber lines. The tank takes about a year to empty Through the freeze and thaw of winter and in 16 years I have never had a problem. As far as it being subsidized, Do you really think the oil companies are not getting any government money. Like I said BULL

But that's my opinion, you're free to have yours.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:28 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 11-10-2011, 05:43 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

We've had e85 in the south for years. Nothing new.

Ran e85 in my 2006 low rider for over 15k with no problems. Currently running it in my 2007 Heritage with no issues and it's got over 12k on it.

I ran a GMC pickup for over 100k and the only time I had problems is when I used some air line hose.

I have a Chevy Blazer that has over 140k that run e85.

You sure your not buying air line.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The ethanol can eat away at o-rings and accelerator pump diaphrams on a carbed motor but the EFI systems are a much better way to go because they have the components to withstand the effects of ethanol..

The accelerator pump diaphram in my S&S "E" gets replaced every 2-years because it begins to crack right at the 2-year mark. Adding Marvel Mystery Oil helps some because it coats the pump material with a light film of oil to prevent the ethanol from breaking it down.

Once again, you folks with EFI need not worry!! You're already covered!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

The ethanol can eat away at o-rings and accelerator pump diaphrams on a carbed motor but the EFI systems are a much better way to go because they have the components to withstand the effects of ethanol..

The accelerator pump diaphram in my S&S "E" gets replaced every 2-years because it begins to crack right at the 2-year mark. Adding Marvel Mystery Oil helps some because it coats the pump material with a light film of oil to prevent the ethanol from breaking it down.

Once again, you folks with EFI need not worry!! You're already covered!

Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Ethanol in an EFI system works fine. Ethanol in a carbed motor can cause issues with o-rings and the accelerator pump diaphram.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member

Pardon the double posts...The Outer Limits has taken control!!!!

Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

A FRESH blend of 10% ethanol 90% gasoline isn't too bad. But that same blend after just one month can be pretty crappy stuff. It's a real problem in storage tanks at gas stations or fleets. If they're not diligent and periodically clean out their tanks, from this 10% blend, we can get anything from low octane gasoline, a mix with a high percentage of water, or little gasoline and a high percentage of alcohol. This is what really causes the problems.

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/...l-blended.html

Old 11-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 390 Likes on 219 Posts

A FRESH blend of 10% ethanol 90% gasoline isn't too bad. But that same blend after just one month can be pretty crappy stuff. It's a real problem in storage tanks at gas stations or fleets. If they're not diligent and periodically clean out their tanks, from this 10% blend, we can get anything from low octane gasoline, a mix with a high percentage of water, or little gasoline and a high percentage of alcohol. This is what really causes the problems.

http://fuelschool.blogspot.com/2009/...l-blended.html

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Mississippi Birdman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent a question to Chevron about if they intend to up to 15% ethanol. They were good enough to send this reply. I told them one truth, I only use Chevron (brand loyalty), but not if they plan to go to 15 % ethanol. Here's what they sent me:

Thank you for the inquiry. Chevron opposes a premature E15 waiver, and we do not plan to market E15 or any mid-level gasoline/ethanol blend above E10 until comprehensive engine/vehicle testing is complete, and shows that the blend does not harm emission control systems or fail to meet customer expectations for performance and durability.

Chevron, along with a broad-based coalition that includes environmental protection groups, automobile manufacturers, and other business organizations, is concerned that the recent EPA decision on E15 was premature and based on inadequate engine test results. The coalition had urged government regulators to wait to approve E15 until independent, comprehensive tests show it will not pose a risk to people, engines or the environment and meets customer expectations for performance and durability. Such independent testing is currently being conducted by the Coordinating Research Council (CRC), but will not be complete until late 2011.

Regards,

Chevron Fuels Technical Services

Quick Reply: ethanol in gasoline