General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ethanol in gasoline

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM
dieselguy65
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Sorry, and with all due respect, the laws of physics simply do not agree with your observations. In fact Ethanol and Water mix quite well. Visit your local tavern and they'll most likely be more than happy to demonstrate this. It is what is called miscibility. Miscibility is the property of liquids to mix in all proportions, forming a homogeneous solution. Water and Ethanol are miscible since they mix in all proportions. In other words, once Water and Ethanol have been mixed they can not be separated without engaging the distillation process. Again, please contact your local Bar Tender for additional details on this facet of physics. If you are seeing Water in the fuel, that is not due to Ethanol. In fact, the presense of Ethanol will actually hide a lot of water that would otherwise visibly separate from the fuel.
alcohol at the bar is not ethanol. you are comparing apples to oranges sir.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
You are confusing Methanol with Ethanol. You might consider doing a little bit of research before you post your opinions. I'd suggest that you Google "Ethanol" that would be an excellent start. Also, here's an excellent link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol please take a moment to inform yourself before posting.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:51 PM
MicahB339
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dieselguy65
No offense but do you know what ehtanol is??
Everclear (grain ethyl alcohol )

Yes I got my black flexible fuel line at a parts store.
I didn't go out and order rubber line they ain't sold in years because it's 2011
I went in the parts store and said
"I want 1/2" rubber fuel line"

Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

been running e-10 in everything I own for 5-6 years. Boat with 140 gallon tank, keep it treated with Marine Stabil, bikes I treat at winter time when they sit more, cars use it enough it doesn't sit. Never a problem in anything.

Problem with ethenol is it's alky based so it attracts moisture, within 2 months you could have water in your tank.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,003 Likes on 4,194 Posts

10 % does not hurt anything. Even absorbs slight amount of moisture. We have had it for years. Here is the seat and needle out of my 21+ year old 12HP riding mower. Use it in my mowers, weedeater, Yamaha outboard, Harley, car and truck. Never use anything to store. As long as it does not set over 4 months its fine. No different than normal gas. Do all my own work. Know what I am talking about. Not spreading hear say or blowing smoke. What kills two strokes is letting oil mix dry out in carbs.. Outboards have bowel drains. Most you just break the screw loose and it will drain and you do not need to remove screw.

Attached Thumbnails ethanol in gasoline-lawnmower-carb-parts001.jpg  
Old 11-07-2011, 11:58 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Havent heard it on Carbed bikes,,, but it sure is eating up the hoses inside the tank on FI units....

mine and 2 of my friends 07 bikes bit the dust this past summer having the pin hole issue.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

In the major population areas of CA, it seems all gas is 10% ethanol and really, millions have been running all kinds of cars and bikes with no problems.

I can't remember if ethanol is an octane boost but negative effects mileage (less energy). Leave it to CA and CARB to eff things up.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:57 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by NoCoLoco
I can't speak for anyone else but I've never had a problem running E10 gasoline in any of my bikes...
Same here. I've never seen any real difference in performance, fuel economy, etc., with my 88. With other previous bikes, I just never paid any attention.

Interesting note: there are several local non-major-brand stations around home that claim (have a sign posted out front) to have non-ethanol gas. However, one of the guys that works there told me that occasionally they will get a shipment in that has ethanol, and it just goes into the same underground tank.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Allen Dye
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've not had any mechanical problems with E10 but I do know that it drops the fuel milage. I have a station right near my house that sells alcohol free fuel. As long as I fuel up my Ultra there, I get a consistant 42 mpg. If I fuel up at a station with E10, my mileage drops to 37-38 mpg. When we left to go to Nova Scotia last summer, the first tank got 44 mpg, the highest after that was 37. The only difference was the first tank came from the corn free local station, all other tanks were E10. My Goldwing does exactly the same, 41-42 on straight gas, 37-38 on E10. There is less energy in alcohol, putting 10% in gas seems to drop the mileage just about the same amount, meaning to go the same distance means you burn just as much gasoline as you would have on straight gas, plus all the extra alcohol. Don't see how that is helping the enviroment.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a 350+ whp, 11.7 second 4 cylinder station wagon that loved ethanol.

I have plenty of experience with it, and of course I see both sides of the argument. I have a political opinion on the issue but I'm going to leave that out here.

With that said: My stock 2011 H-D, which is a loooooooooooooong way from any type of a performance machine, runs way better on the non-ethanol blended. Of course there's only a few spots around here to get it, and only one of them is halfway close to me.

Quick Reply: ethanol in gasoline