General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Ragnar Danneskjöld
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the HID lights, you do indeed need to let the ballast warm up. Switching from high to low will give you a temporary blackout (5-10seconds) which is undesirable in my opinion. You could hack it up so that your lows are on while your high's are, but I think that breaks DOT regulation if you care. But it's certainly safer than having no lights.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:44 PM
afoulsmell
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Mine came with 35w bulbs. I had some 50w laying around, so I threw them in. Didn't notice a difference, which is why I suggested not returning the Walmart bulb.

To show my brother how much light these put out, I straddled the bike and turned the ignition on. (at night of course) I held my hands over the headlight to show how little the field-of-view dimmed down. Then I moved my hands and covered the Silver Bullets. Very significant difference.

Swapping from the stock (headlight) bulb to the Ultra was a help, but nothing like what the Silver Bullets added. And since they are such low wattage, I just tapped into the low beam wiring inside the headlight. (which is why I don't use my high beams)
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Okay, so you're running a pair of Kuryakyn silver bullets with 35W halogens in them, and they are brighter than your headlight. What I'm wondering now is how much brighter would the LED's be in those Silver Bullets? I'm seeing that they have LED bulbs available. Says you have to have a limiter or something, and that costs like $18. I think that's going to be my next big purchase. Eventually I'd like to get one of those LED headlights, but until then, I think I'll be able to see the deer pretty well with that setup.