General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any advantage to getting her off the concrete for winter storage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011 | 02:45 PM
Ben E
|
Road Captain
Default Any advantage to getting her off the concrete for winter storage?

Just had ear surgery and am going to need to be off the machine for 3 months...which sucks because I rode through the winter last year in MD.

Anyway, got the stabilize, batttery tender, sheet and she is all waxed. Is there any advantage to rolling her onto plywood or something else (?) in between the tires and the concret floor of my man cave?

I have read here that I should move her once a month to prevent flat spots.

All advise appreciated.

Benny

Old 11-05-2011 | 02:51 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

Nope, unless it drips oil.
Modern tires don't get flat spots from sitting, at least not for a very long time.

Old 11-05-2011 | 03:27 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Years ago I read on one of the forums that leaving your jiffy stand in contact with concrete, for long periods of time, will cause the metal parts of the bike to rust faster, due to some type of electro some thing or other process.
I'm fairly sure that makes no sense but to be on the safe side I have a piece of rubber under my stand while it is parked in the garage.
Tom

Old 11-05-2011 | 03:30 PM
SniperDude
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
Years ago I read on one of the forums that leaving your jiffy stand in contact with concrete, for long periods of time, will cause the metal parts of the bike to rust faster, due to some type of electro some thing or other process.
I'm fairly sure that makes no sense but to be on the safe side I have a piece of rubber under my stand while it is parked in the garage.
Tom
its prob the same way you dont leave batteries on the floor because they will drain.

Old 11-05-2011 | 03:37 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by SniperDude
its prob the same way you dont leave batteries on the floor because they will drain.
I read years ago that batteries no longer will drain if you leave them on a concrete floor, but I still put wood between the battery and the floor.
Tom

Old 11-05-2011 | 03:50 PM
dope_man_21
Ultimate HDF Member

There was a thread here talking about if you park you bike on concrete that the kickstand will allow the battery to drain, I searched for it but could not find it. If that is the case then you might want to hang your bike from the rafters or something.....

Old 11-05-2011 | 05:51 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by tmitchellof PG
I read years ago that batteries no longer will drain if you leave them on a concrete floor, but I still put wood between the battery and the floor.
Tom
this was only with the rubber cased batteries, now with the plastic ones, its a non issue

Old 11-05-2011 | 06:26 PM
Glider rider
Tourer

I've always placed tires on plywood and rolled bike at least once a month.
I don't know if it matters anymore just an old habit.

Old 11-05-2011 | 10:52 PM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member

My bike sets in my unheated garage for probably 5 months. Jiffy stand on the concrete, battery tender on, tires on the concrete and bike is uncovered. First warm day, the bike comes out, no rust spots and no flat spots on tires. Quick swipe with a swiffer duster and I'm good to go.

Old 11-05-2011 | 11:25 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

please these are machines not diamonds

Quick Reply: Any advantage to getting her off the concrete for winter storage?