General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Settle a dispute...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 07:02 PM
ColoHarleyGirl
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mjolnir
... the gf and I are having.

A few weeks ago, I went to Hal's Harley in New Berlin, WI, and bought some new goggles. Handed over my card, signed the paper, out the door. A little after that, my dad gets a message on the machine. It's Hal's, and they're trying to contact me and found him. No idea how they got his number, but anyway...

I called them back, and they need me to come in, because the lady only charged me $0.66 for my $66 goggles. I go pay it.

While I'm there, they tell me that if I hadn't come back, the lady that rung me up would've had to pay the difference for her error. I'm not sure I believe that, I've never heard of that, and I felt a little weird like I had just been lied to, but whatever; I got $66 goggles and I was there to pay $66.

Girlfriend says I shoulda never gone back, it's their error, they're a big company, and they should've just called it a day. I say, what difference does it make, I paid $66 for $66 goggles. It would've been nice if they could've offered me 10% off my next purchase for the mistake or something, but in the end, who cares.

I guess I don't want to post this in the good dealer thread or the bad dealer thread, because it wasn't really... good or bad. It was a mistake, we all make them.

But I do need to prove to my girlfriend that I was right.
Absolutely you are right. To do anything else is immoral. I have been told that staff error have to pay repaid from their salary or they could be fired depending on the amount of the error. If the shoe was on the other foot and you overpaid for a product should the merchant keep the money if he notices the mistake? Of course not. You were willing to buy the googles for $66 you should pay $66 not a penny more or less.

With all due respect, your GF attitude is why this country is in the toilet. Everyone is out for themselves or looking to get something for nothing regardless what is the moral/right thing to do.

I know you can look yourself it the mirror and feel good about yourself because you did the right thing.

My two cents.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:04 PM
mjolnir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be fair to my girl, she's stuck with me through some WAY more difficult situations than this. And when she tells the story to our friends, she kinda does it with a smile, kinda like she's just busting ***** a little bit. It's what they do.

But I AM right.

Originally Posted by DanDolfn
For what it's worth, sometimes it happens the other way around.

A couple of months ago, I took my Toyota Sienna in for the 20,000 miles service. They charged me $96. I paid it without questioning it.

A week later, they called me up and said they'd made a mistake and transposed the two digits. It should have been $69.

They refunded me the difference.
That's pretty much exactly what I said. And if the price drops on something, you can often go in to most retailers and get the lower price even 30/60/whatever days AFTER you bought it. That's more than fair.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
jthom33
Road Master

You were correct, you win....she owes you a hummer.....very simple.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 PM
EW1959
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you believe in Karma?

Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
jwright302
Tourer

Originally Posted by jthom33
+1 ,......Haha, While you enjoy your favorite cold frosty beverage.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:09 PM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by straydog13
the only advice that comes to mind is that after yall get married,have kids and get divorced and she is trying to get your last dime through all the various ways designed to do that.....youre gonna look back on this day and see it as a sign.

Yeah, I agree. This is what's known as a red flag.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM
mjolnir
Tourer

Originally Posted by jthom33
That's official, CASE CLOSED!

Old 11-03-2011, 07:49 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 366 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by straydog13
the only advice that comes to mind is that after yall get married,have kids and get divorced and she is trying to get your last dime through all the various ways designed to do that.....your gonna look back on this day and see it as a sign.
I don't know if your GF is so hot it's worth it to you, but I would read the post above very carefully.
I do know my wife, and when she was my GF over 30 years ago she would never try to tell me to screw any place out of $66.
BTW she now works at Walmart in St Johns MI and if I remember right, she told me if she makes a $ mistake, she pays for it.
I do know around the Lansing Mi area if a waiter or waitress makes a mistake, they pay for it out of there pocket.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good on ya-you did the right thing.

But, seriously, this chick is NOT a keeper.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:41 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Another "you did right" reply for you.

Quick Reply: Settle a dispute...