General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop let me off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:13 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Cop let me off!

Pretty much everytime I got a citation for a moving violation I was in the wrong.

There was one that did confuse me though. I was behind one of those boneheads that slow down in the no passing areas and speed up in the passing zones. After 20 or so miles of that I had enough so the next passing zone I passed and had to hit 85 or so to get around them.

A trooper pulled me over and said that it was against the law to exceed the speed limit while passing. WTF?? Here the last 40 years I thought you should speed up to get around the vehicle and back in your lane. He said the law had been changed. I told him that it sounded like that law was going to cause more than a few accidents.

Old 11-30-2006, 05:16 PM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,437 Likes on 4,357 Posts

Nice! Grins!!!

[sm=icon_rofl.gif][sm=funnypostabove.gif]
This is something I posted last summer.

Yesterday, some friends and I were riding to Frederick for some lunch. Rather than riding the superslab we took Old National Pike. Nice road that goes through a few small towns. We got halfway between Mt. Airy and New Market and all of a sudden there was a 'Road Closed - Local Traffic Only' sign. Since we didn't have a map and no one knew the local roads, we had two choices. Backtrack about 10 miles to get to a detour route or try to get through the "closed" road. We chose door number two. Everything went well at first. The road was looked smooth and freshly paved with only a few jersey walls as barriers. So we go around the first set of jersey walls and start up the road. Just then two Frederick County Sheriff's Deputies stepped out in the road and motioned us to pull over. They told us that there had been complaints about people ignoring the signs so they were there to enforce the law. We explained our situation, all the while being very respectful to the deputies. They were pretty cool and said they would just give us warning tickets. Whew! The deputy writing my warning was a female about 5'5. As she was writing, talking to me, etc. a luxury Buick comes down the road. She motions him to pull over. The guy (about 6'2) gets out of his car and starts pacing up and down. After a few minutes he comes over to the deputy, shoves his license and reg. in her face and starts going off about how he is in a hurry and how stupid it is for them to stop him while drug dealers and robbers are on the loose. She calmly tells him that he was stopped because he broke a law. He starts fuming again, telling her he doesn't care if he gets a ticket because it doesn't carry any points - just hurry up because he has groceries in the car. At this point the officer gets pissed and tells him yes it does carry a point and to go sit in his car (I was getting ready to tell him to STFU myself). He started to say something else but she cut him off and firmly said again "Sir, go sit in your car...NOW". He goes over and sits in his car and my wife laughs and says to the deputy: "who does he think he is, trying to butt in front of us and get his ticket first". The deputy smiled and said: "That one isn't getting a warning". As we were pulling off, she slowly walked back to her car and sat inside to write him up. I hope she took 15 minutes to run a computer check on the jerk. Sorry this is so long but it brought a smile to my face writing it while I'm stuck at work on another stinkin Monday.

[/quote]

Old 11-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,415 Posts

I've gotten one ticket (so far, knock on wood), and one or two warnings. The ticket was just off North Island Naval Air Station (NASNI for those of you locals), and I was just heading out early to pick my mom up from the airport. No slack, nothing, nobody around but him hiding on a side street, and me (10 over the limit). He was polite, but gave me the ticket and basically walked off.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:03 PM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Cryptoboy

I've gotten one ticket (so far, knock on wood), and one or two warnings. The ticket was just off North Island Naval Air Station (NASNI for those of you locals), and I was just heading out early to pick my mom up from the airport. No slack, nothing, nobody around but him hiding on a side street, and me (10 over the limit). He was polite, but gave me the ticket and basically walked off.
Be careful around Coronado. They don't like people on bikes on their quiet little island.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:15 PM
Beagle1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AK_Hog_Herder

Pretty much everytime I got a citation for a moving violation I was in the wrong.

There was one that did confuse me though. I was behind one of those boneheads that slow down in the no passing areas and speed up in the passing zones. After 20 or so miles of that I had enough so the next passing zone I passed and had to hit 85 or so to get around them.

A trooper pulled me over and said that it was against the law to exceed the speed limit while passing. WTF?? Here the last 40 years I thought you should speed up to get around the vehicle and back in your lane. He said the law had been changed. I told him that it sounded like that law was going to cause more than a few accidents.
Yup, it's like that here too in Michigan. There is a stretch of state highway called M-115 in Northern Michigan with 46 miles of just such non-sense. Passing lanes where the same morons that were going 45-50mph pulling their "use-once-a-year" fishing boats insist on speeding up to 70+ at all the passing lanes. It's a 55 mph zone. Passing lane ends, they go back to 50 or less.

But don't dare pass them, you'll get a ticket because you cannot exceed the speed limit to pass.

Last weekend on the Sunday after opening day of firearm deer season the state & county boys set up a sting. They stopped 150+ vehicles. I don't know the exact citation numbers and other various arrest, but they made a fortune.