General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cop let me off!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 01:18 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Cop let me off!

I'm still waiting for this one to happen...I 'd rather just not get pulled over at all, even better.

Old 11-30-2006, 01:31 AM
The Punisher
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See were not all bad guys

Old 11-30-2006, 02:17 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: The Punisher

See were not all bad guys
I've never had a problem with you guys.
My uncle told me what to do & what not to do should you get pulled over.Smart man my uncle,never got a ticket I didn't deserve

Old 11-30-2006, 03:06 AM
JeffreyLebowski
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never gotten away with $hit. Always a ticket, never a warning. Harley ownership and active duty military hasn't gotten me anything in this regard. Was I speeding? Yeah. However, I am always polite and do my best not to spook the cops (hands visible, motor off, id/insurance ready, etc.).

Cops need to stop letting people off for no reason (**** don't count) and start enforcing laws uniformly. It aggravates the hell out of me that my girlfriend can sweet talk her way out of ticket, but I get no slack. The only fair way to handle this is to bust everyone's *****. No more exceptions for HD riders, big *****, blondes, other cops, whatever. It's pissing me off. You speed, you get caught , you get a ticket. End of story. I'm not griping about my tickets. It just irritates me that other people get away with it.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:21 AM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Jeffery, I get your point,however, Next time you get pulled over, be sure and make your point clear to the officer.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:26 AM
Psycho
Road Master

I'd have to pull something really really stupid to garner much attention from law enforcement in the P/U truck, due to the Firefighter tags.

On the bike, I just make sure I have to dig through firefighter certification cards, and all my forest service cards to get to my license.

Haven't had a ticket in ten years, knock on wood.

Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: JeffreyLebowski

I've never gotten away with $hit. Always a ticket, never a warning. Harley ownership and active duty military hasn't gotten me anything in this regard. Was I speeding? Yeah. However, I am always polite and do my best not to spook the cops (hands visible, motor off, id/insurance ready, etc.).

Cops need to stop letting people off for no reason (**** don't count) and start enforcing laws uniformly. It aggravates the hell out of me that my girlfriend can sweet talk her way out of ticket, but I get no slack. The only fair way to handle this is to bust everyone's *****. No more exceptions for HD riders, big *****, blondes, other cops, whatever. It's pissing me off. You speed, you get caught , you get a ticket. End of story. I'm not griping about my tickets. It just irritates me that other people get away with it.
I am afraid that its not that simple, lots of variations.

The way I work it is every time I look at the stretch of road I'm on, the prevailing conditions, the type and condition of vehicle, the age and or driving experience of the driver, and any other aggrevating factors.

For example, it may be a bright sunny Sunday, road surface is warm and in good condition, little or no traffic on a dual carriageway(70mph speed limit), and I stop a guy in mid 40's with a clean licence doing 110 mph in their Austin Martin . As soon as I get anywhere near them they spot me and slow down. They then pull over in the next available layby without me even attempting to stop them. I follow him into the layby and he gets out and stands by his car. As I walk upto him he says "I know, 110, I'm sorry what can I say". Guess what he gets a warning. Why, well the circumstances were pretty near ideal for driving, the guy was in a vehicle which was designed for high speed, he was switched on and saw me early and knew what speed he was doing and that he was going to get stopped. He didnt whine and try and get off the ticket, and he expected to get prosecuted. He was clearly angry with himself, so what point would there of been in sending him to court.

Same stretch of road, rainy Saturday, loads of standing water on the road, poor visibility, moderate traffic flow. I get behind an old Ford Sierra doing 91 mph, follow him for 2 miles in a marked Volvo looking for a safe place to stop him. I use my auxillary lights and siren on the approach to a layby, nothing....still doing 91mph. Turn everything off, and make a second attempt at the next layby, guy finally sees me and decides to stop 20 feet short of the layby on the main carriageway. After a very short conversation I get him into the layby. Outcome......I sent him to court and he was banned from driving for one month, £200 fine and 6 points on his licence, (when he gets to 12 he gets banned again).

Its about what is reasonable, I'm not a machine and would I really be doing my job if I followed the guidelines and handed out tickets to every single person who was doing 79mph in a 70 zone. My chief role is to reduce serious and fatal road traffic collisions, and to try and achieve that I look at those who are most at risk and who cause a major risk to others. And the only place I am a little unfair is that I do cut Armed Forces a little more slack if I can, as I figure they deserve it.

Hope that makes sense.........because it does to me

Old 11-30-2006, 08:51 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Well Jeffery,I guess you would not be happy with my story: of being told to go straight home and do not let me see you again tonight!

Old 11-30-2006, 09:24 AM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dog155

Well Jeffery,I guess you would not be happy with my story: of being told to go straight home and do not let me see you again tonight!
[sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif][sm=laughingsmilie.gif]

Old 11-30-2006, 11:10 AM
ridgerunner
Tourer

99.9 % of police officers are just regular guy's trying to do what they are paid to do and go home to the family alive. When I do get a ticket, I'm not going to complain. The bottom line is that if you screw with the cops, they screw back. Be decent to them and they will be decent to you but sometimes we are going to get cited anyway; depends on the situation.

Quick Reply: Cop let me off!