General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vin Number issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 AM
Hurst
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vin Number issue

Hello, I've been hunting for a 70s shovelhead lately, I've found one at a reasonable price and looks. took the vin number but it seems that there's a number missing since the whole frame was painted mat balck, it was just 8 digits/character. I took it off from the upper right side of the steering frame, it started with the letter "D" I'm sure there must be a number in front so I crossed match the models for any number in front of the D the only possibility is an LE sidecar, which I doubt it is. are there any way to figure it out what the model is? or anyplace else I can find the vin number? this is what I got off the bike D52313H2. so I'm guessing it's a 72, the owner says it's a police issue and promised to get all the papers. any ideas guys? Thanks a lot Tony

Old 11-02-2011, 07:38 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Call the MoCo customer service line.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:04 AM
DanDolfn
Tourer

Here's a break down of how the VIN works.

http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-vin.html

For 70;s models, the first two digits are apparently the model.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:47 AM
Hurst
1st Gear

Checked the website, cool information, thanks.

but if the first digit is unreadable, is there any other way I can find out what's the model of the bike is?

I included pics of the bike taken by my mobile phone, hope it's clear enough for help

thanks guys

Attached Thumbnails Vin Number issue-hd1.jpg   Vin Number issue-hd2.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

http://www.harley-performance.com/harley-vin.html
I see a couple in there with a D, but....I don't know

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-02-2011, 10:21 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Letters...Model No...Serial No..........MFR.....Year

FL/FLP....1A............Up to 5 digits.....H........0 = 70; 1 = 71; 2 = 72

FLH........2A

FX..........2C

FXE........9D

FXS........2F

70-78 models had VIN stamped on right side of engine crankcase and frame steering head.

With your number looks like it started its life as an FXE model that someone converted to a Glide front end. Not aware of ANY PDs using FXE models as police bikes in the 70s

And with that being said I am curious because to my best recollection FXE models first began in 74?. I would strongly encourage you to look at the VIN on the motor. Not sure how reg works in your neck of the woods but in Kommie Kali generally frame and motor MUST match in order to avoid the "special construction" tag

Last edited by panz4ever; 11-02-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Hurst
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply guys.

I've read about the 1D = LE sidecar on a site, dont have the link now, have at the my office PC, is it possible that it is an LE sidecar?

i will check the engine vin number look for a match.
is it true that 79 models the engine vin didn't match the frame?

Regards,

Old 11-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Hurst
1st Gear

ok, seems it is impossible to read a complete vin out on the chassis without some science experiment.
one thing sure, is that the bike was a police issue and made in 72, the engine sounds very smooth but there's a quite a bit of oil spill on the ground, where it's parked.

I've tested it and it rides smooth relatively, but there was a slight vibration on the handles, and it definitely needs tuning of the laced wheels (which are painted white!!! bad awkward taste)

final price is 6800$, should I go for it???

Cheers!!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:12 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,349 Likes on 1,520 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurst
ok, seems it is impossible to read a complete vin out on the chassis without some science experiment.
one thing sure, is that the bike was a police issue and made in 72, the engine sounds very smooth but there's a quite a bit of oil spill on the ground, where it's parked.

I've tested it and it rides smooth relatively, but there was a slight vibration on the handles, and it definitely needs tuning of the laced wheels (which are painted white!!! bad awkward taste)

final price is 6800$, should I go for it???

Cheers!!
Why would you buy a bike that you are unsure of with the vin number?????

Do you have documentation that identifies it as a police model?

Have you looked at the belly numbers (lower case numbers) to see if they can provide some more information for you?

Quite a bit of oil on the ground? How much is quite a bit. Possibly a tranny seal but you would need to get it up on a stand to check it further.

Slight vibration in the handlebars....normal. Bars then had rubber mounts. Excessive vibration means the rubber is old and needs to be replaced.

Any documentation as to when the engine and tranny were redone? How many ORIGINAL miles on the bike (make sure speedo is OEM and not aftermarket miles)

Any photos?

Based on what you are providing I think that 6800 is overpriced for what you are looking at.

Picked up my almost stock 84FLH (passing lamp and speedo...but he still had original speedo and documented proof of miles) for 6K. Got it from the original owner.

Personally I think you can do better than this and find a better shovel at a better price in better condition and one that does not have a mystery vin number to it.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Hurst
1st Gear

Hello, sorry for the late reply, i was away a bit.

well, yes, the owner has the ID papers all in order, and he says he bought it off from police auction. my guess is that's why all the confusion on the VIN, police here had these harleys back in the early 70s and the maintenance on them was very poor!!

where you mean by the belly numbers?

the oil pool was large but it was spread thin, I checked the tranny seals they were good, no leaks there. I asked around here and everyone said that these models had oil spills when parked for a long time.

no documentations at all on engine redone, but the guy's saying that the engine wasn't rebuild.
I've uploaded two pics in my third post, those the ones I have, the bike was jammed between others, so I wasn't able to take proper pics.

I will check the speedo too.

I will go and check the bike tomorrow, test drive it again and check for other ID numbers.

what I'm lookin is a clean (no accessories) 70s shovelhead, nothing custom made. I'm lookin for other bikes, but it's kinda hard to find them here. found one everything's original, the guy wouldn't sell the speedo was reading 1800!!! it belonged to an old rich guy who bought it but never drove!!

thanks for all the help.
Cheers!!

Quick Reply: Vin Number issue