General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hi loss of tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 02:00 AM
DOMAPOI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Hi loss of tire pressure

My son recently bought a new wheel and tire from the local H-D dealer here in San Diego. He usually keeps his filled to the max tire pressure of 41 PSI. His old front tire was a spoke tire just like mine is, but his new one is a tubeless aluminum wheel. After less than two weeks he looses so much pressure that you can push the tire down to the rim with your thumb (less than 10 PSI in the tire). Last week we took it back to H-D and although the dealer says they will check it out, the service writer at the service counter says that it is typical for front tires to loose that much air in that amount of time. I told him I thought he was sadly mistaken and that I nor my son before the new wheel and tire, ever lost that much air or any where near it. And that I have not heard of any of our other friends having that problem, nor have I heard of that being typical on the forums. He said that it would be rare if anyone was not loosing that much air and insisted that it was typical to loose that much air.

I call bull $hit on him but just to make sure, Let me here if anyone out there thinks that this much air loss is typical. Is it possible that I, my sons old tire and all our friends are just the lucky ones out there and we have all beaten the odds astronomically?

Buy the way they have had the bike now for a week and still have not called us back to let us know if they had found anything out.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:56 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

Both of mine have aluminum wheels and have never lost that much air. A leak that big should be easy enough to find with some soapy water. Could even be the valve stem.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,229 Likes on 5,852 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
I call bull $hit on him but just to make sure,

Buy the way they have had the bike now for a week and still have not called us back to let us know if they had found anything out.

Sounds like you pissed them off...should be able to check out a tire leak while you wait...might as well go get your bike and take it somewhere else....a Honda dearer will fix it in about 20 mins....lol

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is not normal. Had a similar problem with the rear wheel on my lo and turned out to be the valve stem. The dealership looked at it 4 times and couldnt find a problem cause they kept looking at the tire and never even thought about the stem. Took a local indie shop that I buy my tires from to figure it out.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It took submerging this wheel, one section at a time, to find the "porous casting" leak.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:14 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by DOMAPOI
He said that it would be rare if anyone was not loosing that much air and insisted that it was typical to loose that much air.
That is complete bullshit!

I just checked mine after 2 months.The rear was down about 4 lbs just like the front.

And keeping the bike for a week,more bullshit!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

He is full of it - that is waaaay more than the norm. Talk to the manager/owner and chuckle while you describe how the repairman tried to convince you that its normal. If he balks, take your business elsewhere and make sure to let us know who this HD dealer is.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:25 AM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Losing that much air in 2 weeks is not normal. Your service writer should be re-assigned to sweeping floors.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:32 AM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

Unbelievable BS! And a week?? How hard is it to submerge it or spray on some soapy water. A leak that big will be blowing huge bubbles! I would go get it, and go somewhere else. You can find the leak yourself pretty easily. Of course, if it's the wheel, then I guess you have to go back and wait another week plus! A pretty sh$tty position to be in.

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 11-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Foodog
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Get a hidden video camera, go back and get him to reiterate the bs he tried to feed you while you get it on camera. Post it on you tube for the world to see and send a link to the manager/owner/HD.................

Quick Reply: Hi loss of tire pressure