General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Running Lean" ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:09 AM
stytches
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Running Lean" ?

So I am about to install a set of Cycle Shack slip ons with 3" cut on my 2011 Nightster. I did a little research on this forum and it doesn't need like I will need to remap it, unless I find it "running lean."

So what exactly does "running lean" mean? What should I be looking/listening for in order to decide if I need to remap?

Old 11-01-2011, 10:22 AM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New motorcycles are tuned to meet EPA emission regulations and the fuel mix is lean. The bikes with catalytic converters, your's has one, do run much better than the detuned bikes of a few years ago. Retuning the bike to run at it's best, called stage 1, makes them no longer EPA compliant.

Last edited by barjbar; 11-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Running lean

Lean refers to the air to fuel ratio mixture that is sent to the cylinder to be fired. I believe the usual a/f ratio is 13.7 parts air to 1 of fuel. So if you increase the amount of air for the same amount of fuel it is considered a "lean" mixture. Conversely, if increase the amount of fuel for same amount of air it becomes a "rich" mixture. Changing the pipes has no effect on the air or fuel coming into the engine so they do not effect a lean or rich mixture. So no a remap would be a waste of money. Your bikes ECM will detect any changes and will retune itself. There is a limit to the adjustments, and when you do an air filter change that is when the talk of a fuel management system comes in. Which is a whole different topic.
Also, as you asked some signs of a lean mixture are bluing of the pipes, especially of the rear cylinder, increases in heat from the engine and the pipes and generally some pinging of the engine upon acceleration. There are probably others but these are the most noticable. Hopes this helps, didn't mean to be so long. Take care, and ride safe.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:20 AM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,784 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by fishcop
...Changing the pipes has no effect on the air or fuel coming into the engine so they do not effect a lean or rich mixture...
I think it's worth mentioning that when an EFI bike is modified with an improved airflow filter and a performance exhaust system, the EFI fuel map needs to be modified to compensate for the increased air getting into the engine. Slip-on mufflers, conventional 2-2 and 2-1 exhaust systems all allow more air into the engine by reducing the exhaust restriction but they do not significantly alter the pressure waves in the exhaust system similar to drag pipes.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
fishcop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lean

hdgzr, the point I was making was that as the poster said he was only changing the mufflers. A hd reflash of the ecm will do him no good, for two reasons. One the hd reflash only recognizes hd parts. It will not recognize rush, v&h or any other brands. So you can not get an exact map but a "close" one. Two it does not change the a/f but simply raises the rev limiter. So in the case of just pipes it is a waste of money. And as i said change the air filter, that's a different story.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 AM
myglide
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be fine. If you change your intake you will have to get some kind of fuel management controller.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:06 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,784 Likes on 802 Posts

And you are correct sir. A less restrictive muffler can allow more air back into the engine, although in amounts that the stock ecm should be able to handle. As mentioned, he should be just fine with slip-ons.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:20 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by stytches
So what exactly does "running lean" mean? What should I be looking/listening for in order to decide if I need to remap?
KB lean quick test: After you install the slip ons, take the bike for a 30 minute ride until nice and warmed up. Then run up to 5500 rpm in second gear and back off allowing the engine to wind all the way down to 1500 or just above idle speed. (make sure there are no cars behind you). If the engine pops like crazy (more than 2 times) out of the exhaust you are probably running too lean.If it just gurgles...no problem.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:28 PM
AUsed1
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My exhaust leads me to think my 2009 Sportser 1200 is running rich. I have never tuned a bike before but have decent hand tool experience.

Is attempting to tune a bike myself overzealous?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,904 Likes on 861 Posts

RineHart slip ons, Power Commander, SE air box.......bike ran terrible!

V&H slip ons, SE air box, dealer download.........bike is running great.

Quick Reply: "Running Lean" ?