General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detroit Harley Closing

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 PM
dirtyharryfxrt
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Robocop Shu? He wouldn't even feel safe there.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM
RLJ676
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the record, Detroit "Harley Davidson" closed but the shop is still there as an indy, "Detroit Motorcycles". They have some harley parts still, and some aftermarket and are selling used bikes, mostly Harleys. The service bay was full of bikes to work on of all types, so they appear to be keeping busy and hope they do.

I had been in once getting a quote on getting monkey bars, and after having to talk to a few people ended up in the back talking to a guy doing some work on a bike. He said $300 for the labor and we talked a bit about what a pain they are. The quote was fair I thought and he was helpful.

I then went back a week or so later and was following up on more details (adding chrome controls) on getting them done and he happened by and remembered me. We talked about the controls and he said I'd be better off going w/ Ebay exchange ones than Drag Specialties and they'd install them no problems, and was generally a good guy. Turns out he owns the place now. Basically convinced me from window shopping to putting the money down to get it done due to being an honest guy and taking the time. He's been helpful on some other stuff I'm adding to the work, not all of it bought there, etc.

He also mentioned that HD bought out the old guy, along w/ 2 of the local competitors kicking some in for him to retire. The new owner had been a manager there and bought the part stock and rents the building. So far I think he's doing a great job as an indy.

Old 08-02-2012, 03:08 PM
ShrinerRider
Road Captain
Veteran: Army
Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I was in Detroit Motorcycles yesterday and heard the same story. I also ended up in the service bay, which was packed. Tech said they were about 4 weeks out, but if I schedule an appointment, they will call when to bring the bike in. Store was full of inventory, about half of which was original HD stuff, and then all of the aftermarket guys. Very knowledgeable, friendly staff. I also was told there is a 2003, not sure which model, 100 Anniversary still in the crate from the factory sitting in the back.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:06 PM
akhdrider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well say what you will.. I finally got a Harley.. love it to death.. but I will say this... Just after I got mine.. I went to the Harley dealership here and bought a Dealer HD tee-shirt.. got home and found out I paid $30.00 for the average design shirt.. no pretty color graphics.. no painting, just an average tee-shirt with the Local HD Dealer Logo and Harley Davidson on it...
I was pissed to say the least!
Pissed I did not ask how much it was, Pissed that it was $30.00!
OMG, $30 bucks for an average tee shirt and logo!

I did not complain, did not go back to the store. .had already put it on and worn it...but with a price like that!

As far as the comment about Michigan Harley shop closing and ppl there on Welfare.. yeah, I agree! Hard to buy a bike with everyone on Welfare.. ALL THAT DUE TO NAFTA and other things. .Red Tape and Taxes on American Businesses.. High cost of living and Low wages in America... Companies moving over seas to get NO RED TAPE AND TAXES, CHEAP LABOR...

If Our Government would stop regulating the crap out of all businesses... stop taxing them to death.. maybe we would have more people WORKING instead of everyone going on Welfare..! Ya Know!

Old 08-02-2012, 05:24 PM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by akhdrider
Well say what you will.. I finally got a Harley.. love it to death.. but I will say this... Just after I got mine.. I went to the Harley dealership here and bought a Dealer HD tee-shirt.. got home and found out I paid $30.00 for the average design shirt.. no pretty color graphics.. no painting, just an average tee-shirt with the Local HD Dealer Logo and Harley Davidson on it...
I was pissed to say the least!
Pissed I did not ask how much it was, Pissed that it was $30.00!
!
Let's see, YOU bought a shirt and DIDn't KNOW what was on it?? And the dealer is the dip$hit! I think not!!

Old 08-05-2012, 11:32 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BillM
I see people like that driving fairly new Caddies all the time.
How about you two ***** make your own club somewhere else?

Old 08-05-2012, 11:43 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain

Hell, I thought Detroit was all closed down!