General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Georgia HOV lane & motorcycles?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:47 PM
SavageSully
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Georgia HOV lane & motorcycles?

I noticed Thursday it seems all the signs for the HOV lane that posted motorcycles were permited to use the HOV lane in the Atlanta metro area are gone.

Are motorcycles still allowed to use the HOV lane? If not I've probably got a ticket coming my way with all the cameras they put up.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:08 PM
DanDolfn
Tourer

If they changed it, they didn't put it on the Georgia Dept of Public Safety web site yet.

High Occupancy Vehicle Lanes

The Department of Public Safety is responsible for enforcing HOV lane restrictions under Georgia Code, Section 40-16-2. Other law enforcement agencies also enforce the HOV restrictions.
HOV Lanes first opened in Atlanta on December 14, 1994, 18 lane miles on I-20 from Downtown to I-285.
In 1996, 60 additional lane miles opened on I-75 and I-85. Another 23.6 lane miles opened on I-85 in Gwinnett County on October 31,2001.
The following vehicles may use HOV Lanes:
  • Vehicles with two or more (living and not pre-infant) persons.
  • Emergency Vehicles (Law Enforcement, Fire, Emergency Medical)
  • Motorcycles
  • Buses
  • Alternative Fuel vehicles properly licensed with an AF license plate
http://dps.georgia.gov/00/article/0,...296144,00.html

Old 10-28-2011, 10:17 PM
SavageSully
Intermediate

thanks for lookin that up.

We've got this "Peach Pass" thing now that is required to use the HOV. Trying to find info on it is a pain though.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:50 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,074 Likes on 17,940 Posts

Pay close attention to that a couple of the local cities out here changed up the HOV lanes at their city line and don't allow MC's in them , they don't have the signs up till your well into ticket country either . Gotcha stunts for revenue are rampant .

Old 10-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

TB can you tell us where they are so we can avoid them when in your area?

Old 10-28-2011, 11:42 PM
horseplay
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SavageSully
thanks for lookin that up.

We've got this "Peach Pass" thing now that is required to use the HOV. Trying to find info on it is a pain though.
I thought the peach pass was for the HOT lanes that everyone is raising hell about?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:22 AM
who?me?
Cruiser

Originally Posted by horseplay
I thought the peach pass was for the HOT lanes that everyone is raising hell about?
Through Atlanta it is an HOV lane and you can ride in it. At about I285 on North I85 it switches to HOT Lanes and you must have a Peach Pass if you are on a motorcycle. The pass is free for a motorcycle, but it must be on your bike or you will get a nice greeting in the mail. When we called from work we were told that the little transponser would register if in a saddle bag. Have not had a chance to try that. I think I would just use a piece of tape and tape it on the inside of the windshield so I could remove it. Unless it is rush hour you will not need the HOT Lane.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:30 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,454 Likes on 2,598 Posts

like who me says you have to register each bike.What a f*ck up the hot lanes are.I sit in that traffic 6 days a week and it's frustrating to see that empty lane while your sitting..The people that have to use it everyday are plain getting f**ked out of their money.Every body else in Atl area gets a free pass and us that live in the northern corridor get f**ked. I send the gov. and Ga DOT everyday saying the same.

Old 10-29-2011, 12:29 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,074 Likes on 17,940 Posts

Originally Posted by Other Sheep
TB can you tell us where they are so we can avoid them when in your area?
A couple of the area's north of the Golden Gate bridge up in Marin county on 101 , I'll have to look up the towns names I just avoid the whole area .

Old 10-29-2011, 05:11 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior

I work for the MassDOT.

The Federal Highway Administration has guidelines for HOV. All states follow these guidelines or else portions of federal funding will be withheld.

States are generally compelled to set up HOV in certain metropolitan areas. This makes sense in principal.

Motorcycles per FHWA guidelines cannot be restricted from HOV access unless the state files a written report with the FHWA stating why allowing motorcycles would compromise the safety of the artery. That is the only way bikes can be restricted from any HOV. And I do believe that if bikes are restricted per the blessing of the FHWA, a prohibition sign must be posted.

Quick Reply: Georgia HOV lane & motorcycles?