General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Oil for winter nap

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=monkeyboy22;8982832]If you're concerned about the oil dribbling out of the old filter and making a mess, just fold the box that the new filter comes in flat and stick it under there before you unscrew it.[/.QUOTE]

Not the problem. Running the bike to pump out the last of the dirty oil from where the filter goes on causes it to shoot out. I ran bike until clean oil showed then shut it down, put on filter. So you have steady run of oil until clean oil shows.
I only know few people who change oil this way, as Jim Kraft says, it can starve engine. The old Shovel the filter was in different spot so risk was minimum.
As hoethree posted Rogue Chopper has the Scavanger kit. I was thinking of maybe copying set up, easy enough with plastic piping etc but the filter looks to be reuseable in the kit. For $120 not a bad one time investment.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
lohawg
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If you're that OCD about dirty oil, which is probably way above specs if you change it often, just buy one extra filter to keep for this task, buy some cheaper 20/50 oil, change it, run it , dump out the cheap oil and put on your new filter. Pour in the the new oil and get a good night's sleep. You've wasted about 9 bucks for oil but it sounds better than ruining your engine trying to get an ounce of old oil out.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 PM
warrconn
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dickey
Just change the freakin' oil & stop being so AR.

BTW;what is this "Bucket" crap?
That was my question, too

Old 10-30-2011, 10:39 AM
LucyOnBlack
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lohawg
If you're that OCD about dirty oil, which is probably way above specs if you change it often, just buy one extra filter to keep for this task, buy some cheaper 20/50 oil, change it, run it , dump out the cheap oil and put on your new filter. Pour in the the new oil and get a good night's sleep. You've wasted about 9 bucks for oil but it sounds better than ruining your engine trying to get an ounce of old oil out.
Found a previous thread way back, it's 50/50 on views.

I've always changed the oil in my bikes myself, for info sake it is far more than an ounce of oil, more like a litre to 3/4. It is also interesting to check the drain pan for what's exactly in that last bit. I've had the same mechanic for 26 years, strictly Harley, who sold me my first Harley...... he taught me to change oil.
Each to their own.

Tomata... tomato who really gives a shiote, glad I hang with men not boys... NO I haven't had my coffee yet ..aimed at pickers over the 'bucket'

Last edited by LucyOnBlack; 10-30-2011 at 02:03 PM. Reason: clarification after coffee