General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone attended Wyotech or MMI?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Nickrc3
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD 4-ever,
Keep your interest in mechanics a hobby. Pursue a licensed/certified trade such as Electrical, HVAC, Elevator, etc. Many, many more opportunities, and respectable pay.

Old 10-29-2011, 09:20 PM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I told both of my kids, do what you love your going to have to do it for 30+ years, but be aware that you are going to have to learn how to live on what you earn.

From listening to everyone who asked this same question in the past, the pay is low, getting a different trade or skill may make you just as happy plus you may also get a livable wage.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:04 PM
citykid
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy was thinking of a career change and wanted to be a HD mechanic. I've been also curious so I did a search. I came up with this site of a guy who went to MMI and then found work afterwards.

He gives a very no-nonsence review. I was surprised by what he had to say, and the honesty. It pretty much echos what has been said in the above posts.

http://rons-web.com/motorcycles/MMI4.aspx

Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 PM
jo_mama
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL @ diploma mills. there will always be a majority who attend a tech school and get nothing out of it. if you work hard and are passionate about what you do, you are bound to succeed at what ever you try. i have a relative that went to school to learn how to build bodies for race cars. he slept in his car for the first two months of school. now he owns/operates a company that builds most of the exhaust systems for nascar. the job market sucks right now so be patient.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:48 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jo_mama
LOL @ diploma mills. there will always be a majority who attend a tech school and get nothing out of it. if you work hard and are passionate about what you do, you are bound to succeed at what ever you try.
My son attended Sequia Automotive School which was bought out by Wyotech.
This got his foot in the door in the automotive trade.
7 yrs. later he has landed a well paid union job working on buses.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:26 PM
Chunk
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a look at the schools a couple of years ago, to me their programs seem very consistent w/ each other so, the school's location is important. I know a couple of folks working at the dealership after graduating & they earn a decent enough wage, ya know...I don't know...I don't wanna change belts & hoses the rest of my life & for the price of school I could purchase a couple used H-D's & get myself familiar w/ 'em, & attend automotive+welding+math/machinist classes at my local community college for the same price, nearly. But that fits me & my attitude/style, which is maybe not yours. The guys I know earn good money after school...&...there is a lot more opportunity available in those schools than getting a job; its at the start, math...math...math & attention to BS & detail, ya know? Possibilities are there. Depends on what ya want. Just a job...

Race cars are really neat, monster trucks too, ya know, etc...those things require more than just pulling fairings & changing oil or bearings.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickrc3
HD 4-ever,
Keep your interest in mechanics a hobby. Pursue a licensed/certified trade such as Electrical, HVAC, Elevator, etc. Many, many more opportunities, and respectable pay.
Or take it a step further and use your education benefit to earn a degree in engineering. You won't be sorry.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

First of all, thank you for your service.

I have a friend who went to the Wyoming class. He thought it was great, but had trouble getting a decent wage.

He opened his own shop, and is doing great. Just check all the threads on here from posters who talk favorable about their "indy's" vs dealers/stealers. I just wish he was closer to me....I'd give him all my business.

Find a town that is "in between" dealers' territories, and if you are any good, you can make the bucks instead of the dealers who may or may not screw their techs.

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-30-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:26 PM
UFOtestpilot
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
Or take it a step further and use your education benefit to earn a degree in engineering. You won't be sorry.

I was going to comment on that as well. GI bill for a degree in Civil Engineering and get your PE. Then spend your free time and cash wrenching on whatever you want and spending time with your kids.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:24 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phillyrube
Heard Wyotech was more of a diploma mill......
First of all,, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE!! We all owe you alot!
Was talking with a buddy of mine that owns a shop in N.Ga. He hired a tech that had just graduated from MMI. He was excited to get good help, he thought. Asked the guy to do a handle bar install on a touring bike. The guy had no idea where to start, said he had never had a batwing off. My friend started checking into MMI. Come to find out attendance is 70% of there final grade. Go figure!

Last edited by DHubbs; 10-30-2011 at 03:06 PM.

Quick Reply: Has anyone attended Wyotech or MMI?