Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

San Francisco Police Department Considering Dumping Harley, Leasing Other Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 01:51 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,971 Likes on 17,893 Posts

Originally Posted by cameraboy
I don't think they generally pursue other bikes if they run. but maybe some dept's do.

They won't around here, generally. They will just show up at your house or job and arrest you there.

I think a cop bike has to be maneuverable, should work all day every day, have minimal maintenance, be able to run for at least a hundred thousand miles and then some, and be comfortable. But I'm not a cop, I don't know what they need or want. But I could understand going to another brand. maybe this will make hd bikes better.
They already have the perfect tool for that it's called a Motorola , yet meet the rocket jockey that can out run that radio .

Old 10-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Sonikmac
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do they need cops on bikes anyway?

In my experience, the only thing cops are on bikes for is to write traffic tickets. That is doing society a whole lot of good, yea? I guess if we are going to have to pay for cops on bikes, then it should be a no-brainer that they should be riding American made bikes, with as many American made components as possible, while wearing American made uniforms, and using American made accessories and tools.
We are constantly outsourcing ourselves in the name of a few bucks here and there. What we don't talk about is the fact that sending those dollars into foreign hands, or funneling them into a few people's pockets does the economy and the country no good.
The best possible way I can see to reduce local police budgets is to reduce the number of officers, or the hours they work, and allow citizens to defend themselves and their property against criminals. Also, quit wasting police resources to punish drug addicts and thousands upon thousands of man-hours and resources spent to put one or two guys behind bars for a few years for dealing dope which should be legal and regulated anyway. The cops only show up after the crime has been committed.
I don't want my tax dollars subsidizing BMW or Kawakrappy or anything that says "Hecho en China."

Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cops on bikes can also get to an area that is blocked off by gridlock.

Cops should have the equipment BEST able to do their very dangerous and serious job.

I WISH that would mean American made equipment, but sometimes it doesn't. The solution is for the AMERICAN companies to make better tools, not to buy inferior tools just because they are made in the united states, as often as I do that myself. I don't need to rely on my equipment to possibly save a life though.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:15 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mrnone
cops should ride bikes that can catch other bikes or there is no point.
Hell I don't even ride through your city anymore what with the leo's popping everything that has 2 wheels for excessive noise.

Feeling invincible on your bike when it comes to the PD on HD? Ummm, pretty sure you and your bike can't outrun the speed of light. Ya see long time ago Marconi or Tesla, depending on your opinion both developed a form of radio.

All police department now use the highly modified version of those old inventions. When in a pursuit the call in the license number and run it for owner info. In the interest of safety to the public and themselves most will not chase another bike or car if it can be avoided. Now you might have the rude awakening at zero dark thirty with them serving an arrest warrant for you though.

LAPD uses HD and has a contract with the local dealer not from me for the repairs. Does anybody really think Departments really pay full pop for their bikes? Maybe the city council in SF don't like noisy bikes?

LMAO on the union bashing. Pretty sure 99% if not 100% are union members. I was, my son is, my son in law is. Next time you feel they are unskilled dummies try wiring your own house or doing the special effects for the film industry. Just sayin.

TWIZTED likin the new avatar btw.

Last edited by BBStacker; 10-28-2011 at 02:18 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:58 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bjewell
To the guy is Canada pissing and moaning aobut unions, go f@ck a moose.

To the guy from LA. that said an equal amount of drible, there's a reason your state is the toilet of the USA and it's not because we send all our garbage down the Mississippi, it's cause you people live in a swamp covered with oil rigs, fat people and Jamarcus Russell was yer college QB. Bon ton roulet dude.

Unions built this country, stopped child labor and ended danerous practices in the factories. Unions put this country back to work after the rich totally destroyed the economy in 1927 by stealing on Wall Street. Unions saw to it that people of color who came back from the killing fields of WW II got a fair shake at getting a decent job. You are either probably too young to know that, or a northern hillbilly who thinks hockey is actually worth watching.

All said with a smile...
All Bull Crap.............................................. Unions had nothing to do with child labor laws, unions were some of the most racist organization in the states during the 70's and 80's.

Unions are the current downfall of american labor. They did the job back in the day, but the union of today, is only looking for money and power. It has been corrupted like our political system.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:00 PM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Police depts. keep the bikes stock which on a Harley means high heat. I wouldn't want to bake all day on a stock Harley touring bike either.
Wrong, they have a special seat.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:07 PM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by KBFXDLI
You are totally 100% wrong. The issue in this thread is not the unions, or even the initial cost of the bikes. It is the cost of ownership and maintenance and reliability and performance. Harley bikes simply do not perform in the field as well as the newer water cooled bikes do and historically they break down more often.

This is simply due to the fact the newer technology bikes are lighter, faster and handle better. They are also much easier to maintain. One example is that a shared sump motorcycle takes about 10 minutes to change the oil and only uses one lubricant and can run extended oil change intervals than a bike with 3 sumps. Ask anyone with a Vrod.
Wrong?...I think not...What did I say about labor unions?...Nothing...You might want to compare some of the replacement part cost between metrics and Harley...Stators clutch plates...voltage regulators etc...And the availability of such parts from a non dealer...There are hundreds of companies that manufacture these kind of parts that will work on a Harley... How many companies market a voltage regulator for a BMW besides BMW...Your example about the shared sump has a very weak point...It depends on the same lubrication for the clutch...Transmission and engine...Which downgrades the eng. oil much quicker...Police clutches take a beating...Do you want that same oil lubricating your crankshaft rods and cams...I think not...I worked on metric bikes for years...And some of them were pretty much disposable due to outrageous replacement parts cost versus the value of the bike...While in a Harley school in Orlando my class was next to the class that trained motor officers to do basic services on police bikes...This cuts down on the maintenance expense to the police departments that do this...The dealership I work at leases about 100 police bikes a year to the state and surrounding cities...The main things we do to police bikes is warranty work and recall work...They have done real well doing their own maintenance...and light repair....I am really glad that you mentioned the V rod...About a year ago I put a complete motor in one...( $7,000.00) Due to the output shaft bearing coming apart...Tearing the motor down...I found all four cams ruined the heads ruined...The crankshaft and cases ruined...Because of the debris from the bearing...So remember your shared sump engine actually needs more Frequent oil changes...Due to your clutches...trans. gears crankshaft sharing the same oil...If you have a major failure in a Harley transmission or clutch...The engine is unharmed...The shared sump engine is junk in the same situation...I won't go as far to say that you are 100% wrong...Just misinformed

Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,971 Likes on 17,893 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
All Bull Crap.............................................. Unions had nothing to do with child labor laws, unions were some of the most racist organization in the states during the 70's and 80's.

Unions are the current downfall of american labor. They did the job back in the day, but the union of today, is only looking for money and power. It has been corrupted like our political system.
Keep drinking the kool aid and watching Fox news , your right about the little bit of racism in unions at least the one I belonged too . If you where not black or Mexican you where pretty well **** outa luck . That's the fault of the NAACP and the open border crew so lets bash on that for a while or is that too politically untouchable for your narrow minded *** ?

Bad management , the banking system and local government bleeding businesses as cash cows is whats tanked industry in this country not labor . Jesus are you people really that blind and narrow minded or just plain stupid ?

Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM
schumacher
Club Member
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carpetride
Maybe they figure you for a patsy.

What do police depts. pay for their bikes? I bet it's not $26000. Especially if it's a road king.
I emailed a friend of mine who works at a harley delaership this afternoon and posed this question to him. A Roadking comparably equipped to the Victory Police bike is easily 30K.

Old 10-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Ribaldmanikin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
You live in another fucing country altogether what right much less background do you have to speak about anything to do with American labor & businesses ? Butt out .

Not to defend what he said, but Canadians often have quite good insight into US business and labour as we deal with it every single day.

Also, does America stay out of the rest of the world's business? Just sayin...